Sainsbury's new Nectar offer 'discriminates against the elderly and the vulnerable', says 75-year-ol

A 75-year-old Sainsbury's customer has complained to the supermarket giant after it prevented shoppers from accessing savings online with its new Nectar scheme. 
Read the full story:

Sainsbury's new Nectar offer 'discriminates against the elderly and the vulnerable', says 75-year-old shopper

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• There are other things that people that don't do modern technology can't get such as better deals on energy deals etc. Also some insurance companies offer discounts if buy online too. 
  • Those not visiting stores in person but using the click & collect service are probably costing Sainsbury's more per shop than the supermarket is forgoing by reducing a few prices for in-store purchase.  Perhaps it is those who don't use click & collect/delivery who are discriminated against because of higher prices not offset by the value of the service provided.
  • There are other things that people that don't do modern technology can't get such as better deals on energy deals etc. Also some insurance companies offer discounts if buy online too. 
    So this Sainsbury's initiative is a negative for people who do do "modern technology" by buying on-line.
    (It is positive if they use the specified technology in-store.)
  • This is a very poor performance by Sainsburys. My wife and I are also shielding. I discovered 18 months ago that my Sainsburys shopping card (gift card) cannot be used online. When I called them they said it would be available soon, but that was 18 months ago. The other large supermarkets don’t discriminate this way, so I have stopped shopping with Sainsburys. Their IT department seems to be behind the curve and is losing the company business.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,759 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 23 October 2021 at 11:02AM
    As far as I can see, it's a set of offers that Sainsbury's are using to try to encourage people to shop a certain way (in store, using the Smart app). Companies have always had offers that try to direct/reward customers to behave in a way that they prefer (e.g. discounts for paying by direct debit, BOGOF offers etc) and I can't see that this is any different. They prefer people to shop in store using the app as it will involve less staff and result in more 'spur of the moment' buys.
    Yes, it's discriminating against those who don't want to shop that way, including those who want to shop online and those who aren't 'tech savvy', but it's not discrimination against a protected characteristic and presumably Sainsbury's have worked out that they'll ultimately get more people in that they'll turn off - if they don't they'll either tweak the system or get rid of it altogether.
  • Such are the times that every twit has an oversized ego and thinks he is entitled!
    Discrimination everywhere! 
    Don't like the prices in the shop? Buy somewhere else. Don't like the service? Buy somewhere else.
    The guy has a very boring life if he spends it writing idiotic letters to the shop.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    marcopolo123 said:

My wife and I are also shielding
    No you are not. Shielding is over 
    You may be self-isolating but that is your personal choice
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    My nearest Sainsburys is 25 miles away, is that discrimination against the otherwise located?
    Sainsburys owe me nothing, there are other food shops and if I cannot avail myself of deals because I don't have a fancy phone then that's my tough luck. I certainly don't feel discriminated against.
  • Just seen an advert for Co-op doing the same thing - coupons on their app
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure