Plans for bailiffs to be self-regulated but Martin Lewis warns compulsory regulation is needed

MSE_EmilyMSE_Emily MSE Staff
119 Posts
First Post
MSE Staff
Plans for bailiffs in England and Wales to be self-regulated have been put forward by the Centre for Social Justice in a bid to better protect people in debt. But Martin Lewis, founder of MoneySavingExpert.com, warns that the industry-funded body doesn't go far enough, saying that every bailiff firm needs to be "tightly and independently" regulated...
Read the full story here:
Plans for bailiffs to be self-regulated but Martin Lewis warns compulsory regulation is needed
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    25.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Martin, it doesn't go far enough, only tight, independent regulation will stop them overstating their powers, and abusing their position, as they (mostly) do, on a regular basis.

You don`t really think there all as nice and polite as the guys and gals on the telly do you ?

If you want to see how they really behave, have a look on YouTube.
    Ex Board Guide.
    “A man who pays his bills on time is soon forgotten. - Oscar Wilde"
    “If you owe the bank $100 that’s your problem. If you owe the bank $100 million, that’s the bank’s problem.” -JPMorgan Chase"
    "I don`t trust Bankers, I don`t trust Banks, and I don`t trust you. -Private Frazer"
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • tacpot12tacpot12 Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    No industry can police itself; there is too much commercial interest at stake.

Only independent regulation will protect the public from bailiffs that are prepared to overstep the rules. There have to be tough sanctions. Individual bailiffs should be licensed in my opionion, but we need to ensure that there are safeguards for the bailiffs as well. If someone has chosen to make their career in debt recovery, it mustn't be possible for them to lose their livelihood through one or two vindicitive or unsubstantiated complaints. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    17.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Northern Ireland has not had bailiffs for as long as I can remember. Enforcement is all done through the courts.

It seems to work OK.

I'd scrap them.