Have you ever rented clothing? Would you?

MSE_Laura_F
MSE_Laura_F Posts: 1,567
First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
MSE Staff
edited 8 July 2021 at 2:31PM in I wanna buy it or do it
We've a blog in the pipeline exploring rental clothing. It's a topic that's gathering momentum, what with Carrie Symonds opting for a rental wedding dress, Harrods launching its own rental service and H&M now offering free suit hire.

👔 👗 👜

So we'd love to know: have you ever rented clothing?

If not, why not? Would you consider it?

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,322
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 8 July 2021 at 10:04PM
    We've a blog in the pipeline exploring rental clothing. It's a topic that's gathering momentum, what with Carrie Symonds opting for a rental wedding dress, Harrods launching its own rental service and H&M now offering free suit hire.

👔 👗 👜

How can you 'hire' something if it's free? Surely that's simply borrowing something?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • MSE_Laura_F
    MSE_Laura_F Posts: 1,567
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    MSE Staff
    Marcon said:

👔 👗 👜

How can you 'hire' something if it's free? Surely that's simply borrowing something?
    It's a good point!

MSE Laura F
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I wouldn't do it personally at the moment but I can see a lot of females doing this.
    Only after a year will it filter down to males.
    Maybe a stereotypical view but let's see if it's correct...
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,731
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Surely this has been happening for years?  There are lots of places hiring out wedding outfits and full highland dress outfits.
  • I know of a company not listed in your recommendations called OnLoan. They are an amazing company that rent out high end but sometimes lesser know designers. They offer two packages of 2 or 4 items for 1 month. £69 FOR 2 ITEMS AND £99 FOR 4!!! It's a subscription service so you can swap your items at any time for others or decide to keep them for longer. They also do incredible sales of their stock so that you can choose to buy something you absolutely love at vastly reduced prices to their RRP or just buy in their pre-loved sales. Their whole concept is to stop wasteful shopping habits and join the sustainable fashion world properly - all of their brands are fully sustainable in their branding and manufacture and several of their brands are exclusive to OnLoan. Started by two sassy bright female entrepreneurs with a passion for sustainable but cool fashion.  I cannot recommend them and their rental company highly enough. 
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I wouldn't do it personally at the moment but I can see a lot of females doing this.
    I think the opposite is true @anotheruser... know lots of guys that have hired suites for weddings, going to the races, black tie, white tie events etc (ok, not many white tie)... don't know any women when the invite lands says they need to go down the hire shop rather than buying a new dress.

Not many high streets didnt have a Moss Bros doing suit hire but cant think of a national chain doing the same for women.

Our work christmas balls used to be black tie and there was always an exodus of guys going out at lunchtime the next day to return their hire tux

Personally being a non-standard size/shape I went down the purchase route and thankfully was rarely invited to anything more outlandish than suit or black tie.
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,047
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Men have been hiring formal wear for decades. 

• anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Sandtree said:
    I think the opposite is true @anotheruser... 
    Ladies will always find a reason to buy new clothes.

However as time goes on and they realise wearing something once, then leaving it until it no longer fits isn't the best idea, hiring may become a thing, especailly with the younger generation.
  • I wouldn't do it personally, but maybe for an outfit or dress for a special occasion I would
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback