I owe companies - its about income & expenses ?

alykhalil1
alykhalil1 Posts: 240 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
edited 19 May 2021 at 6:55PM in Debt-free wannabe
hi all.
Hope everyone is fine and keeping safe ?
I have some debts with companies like santander, capital one etc + arrears on 2-3 other companies. which roughly amounts to £5100. i APPROACHED CITIZENS ADVISE AND THEY HELPED ME SINCE THE START Until we went through my income (which is Universal credit & PIP) and expenditure. I told them £450 i HAD to send my family (my parents and my 3 boys) abroad as nothing in free in the Asian countries like India, everything is at a cost, school uniforms, doctor's, hospital surgeries, school fees, curriculum, school transport etc and more. They have to pay for everything. Unless you have a tenner in your pocket you can even visit or consult a doctor for a minor headache. They even paid for Covid Vaccines. 

The next email i get from them (citizen's advise) is they cannot help me and closing my case because i am sending money for maintenance for my parents and children which is considered as savings. I was always under the impression that sending money to my family abroad WAS considered legitimate outgoing ?..  what has changed ? please if anyone can explain to me ?..i am a British national/citizen. Kind regards and be safe....AK

Comments

• Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    You have posted about this previously. 
    UK benefits are to support you not your family in India. 
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    As much as you're doing what anyone would want to do in supporting your family - benefits are not there to help you do that - they are there to help you help yourself. While you are continuing to send this money overseas, the interest on your debts will rise, the debts themselves will rise, so based on the fact you're unable to work for the moment - something has to give. Either you stop sending the money overseas to focus on the debts - or potentially you go bankrupt - but that would destroy your ability to get new credit for a number of years.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sadly your going to have to decide if to stop sending money so you can get out of debt or stay in debt. 

Have you managed to find work yet since your last post about this issue! 
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 May 2021 at 7:07PM
    Moved to DFW board.
    Hi,

Its not a good idea to be sending money abroad when you are in debt, however, your debts are not that high, so a self managed debt management plan would probably suit your needs better than your current arrangement, unfortunately non of the debt help organisations will be of any use whilst your situation remains the same.

You should do an accurate budget, work out what disposable income you have, then split that money between your creditors.
    This will mean defaulting on your debts, so it will be damaging to your credit file, but if its the only way, then its the only way.

You should write to each one asking for time to assess your situation, then tell them your entering debt management, and ask for their payment details, you then make one reduced payment to each creditor every month.

Look on the "DMP mutual support group thread" (sticky) for help and further advice.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • alykhalil1
    alykhalil1 Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Thank you everyone. I am not able to look for work since 1 year now that I suffer from diabetes, liver problems, ascites, eosophegal vercices, chronic lumbar osteoarthritis, & much much more.  The surgeons & GP say I m not in a position to work. I mean say my family was here in UK. Would they have to pay me for them as well?... Maybe?.. So why sending them money considered savings or not acceptable or illegit expense.
    Thank you lots. Sorry for spelling mistakes due to tremors in my fingers. Hope my privacy will be maintained. 

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure