MSE Poll: What financial support have you accessed during the pandemic?

in Money Saving Polls
9 replies 661 views
MSE_PetarMSE_Petar MSE Staff
162 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper
MSE Staff
Poll started 19 January 2021
The coronavirus crisis has hit the UK economy hard, with millions struggling financially as a result. Support from the Government, local councils and financial firms has been through the furlough scheme, self-employment grants, benefits, mortgage and other credit repayment holidays and more – though sadly not everyone has been able to access this help. This week, with much of the country in lockdown again, we want to know if you've accessed any Covid-related financial support.

Click here to vote

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.
If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.
Thanks!

Replies

• 203846930203846930 Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't qualify - no further comment.
  • meady64meady64 Forumite
    2 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    as above - don't qualify, so got none
    classed as "key worker" so like NHS etc worked all through
    any chance of a cheque from the government for everyone had to work through pandemic for say 50% of their wages over lockdown period as a thank you?
    i doubt it
  • nomoneytodaynomoneytoday Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Self employed, starting after being laid off from Thomas Cook.
    Got absolutely no support from the government, UC, benefits, lockdown allowances or council awards as was PAYE up to Sept 2019.
    Believe I am One of 3 million #excluded..

• TokmonTokmon Forumite
    582 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    meady64 said:
    any chance of a cheque from the government for everyone had to work through pandemic for say 50% of their wages over lockdown period as a thank you?
    i doubt it
    You think you should get 50% extra wages for working through lockdown!?!?. 
    Your already getting paid for your work so I don't know why you think you should get extra. I'm happy to be working because it atleast gets me out of the house and a bit of social interaction, I wouldn't like to be furloughed now in the winter with bad weather and nothing to do.
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not entirely sure what the difference is in practice between "none - not eligible" and "none - haven't needed support".  There must be a large number of people to whom both of those apply.  If the government was to offer me free money, I would take it.  But I'm not eligible, not least because I don't need it.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • edited 23 January at 9:18AM
    jackieblackjackieblack Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 January at 9:18AM
    Tokmon said:
    meady64 said:
    i doubt it
    You think you should get 50% extra wages for working through lockdown!?!?. 
    Your already getting paid for your work so I don't know why you think you should get extra. I'm happy to be working because it atleast gets me out of the house and a bit of social interaction, I wouldn't like to be furloughed now in the winter with bad weather and nothing to do.
    I can see both sides of this.
    Those of us whose job hasn’t been affected and who have worked all through as normal are lucky in respect of still having their jobs and stability.
    However, it does also mean that some people have been working extremely long hours in extremely difficult conditions, effectively for 20% of pay, compared to their colleagues who have been sat at home on 80%.
    I have multiple friends/family who will have long lasting effects from the extreme physical and emotional strain they have been working under for the last year, while some on furlough have had a great time, chilling at home, saving far more than the 20% their pay has been reduced by, whereas others who have been furloughed have struggled to just pay for basic essentials.
     I totally agree that those working through are just doing the job they signed up for, but no-one signed up for the unprecedented circumstances of the last 10 months.
     I don’t have any answers, but I can see that people’s experiences of the last 10 months have been very different and can see why there are people on all  sides feeling like they have been treated unfairly.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter
    South facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs: 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 (offset) YTD £1130.00
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • pearl123pearl123 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    A big zero. Living very simply, as very worry about the future. 
    Unfortunatly, I don't believe there is  a swift exit out of this  pandemic. Vacines  will be playing cat an mouse with the new variants for a long time.
  • lakesider52lakesider52 Forumite
    27 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    The bigger issue with the working from home tax allowance is the fact that it is far too low and needs to be reviewed urgently. People not claiming it is hardly an issue as you cannot legislate for stupidity or laziness but perhaps the fact that it is set at such a low level that does not reflect the additional costs of W.F.H. is a contributory factor.
  • Kim_kimKim_kim Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The bigger issue with the working from home tax allowance is the fact that it is far too low and needs to be reviewed urgently. People not claiming it is hardly an issue as you cannot legislate for stupidity or laziness but perhaps the fact that it is set at such a low level that does not reflect the additional costs of W.F.H. is a contributory factor.
    Yes the wfh allowance is paltry.  Many people have had to give over areas of their home to become a home office, buy desks & chairs.  Extra heating.  I know there isn’t commuting costs but for some the loss of square footage doesn’t compensate.