Cost of a first-class stamp to rise by 9p to 85p from next year - MSE News

Options
The price of a standard first-class stamp will rise by an inflation-busting 9p in the new year, Royal Mail has announced...

Read the full story:

'Cost of a first-class stamp to rise by 9p to 85p from next year'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• arnoldy
    arnoldy Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    In 1974 a first class stamp was 4.5p - equivalent to about 48p now  NOT 85p.
    And the most astonishing thing? In 1974 the letters were all - 100% - sorted by hand whereas now they can be computer sorted to a great extent with OCR technology.
    In 1974 I got 2 deliveries a day. Now I get 1.

Where did it go wrong?

• jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    85p for a stamp - don't know how I'll manage!

Seriously, do people send letters any more? It's 2020! Easier, quicker, and cheaper to send an email. People also complaining about the cost of sending a parcel. Privatisation has meant that there are plenty of choices available if you think Royal Mail is too expensive. 
  • 001uk
    001uk Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try finding the new rates on the websites of Royal Mail/PO! Are other posting services seeing increases (Overseas, Parcels, Special Delivery)? If you're in business particularly Mail Order we need to know all the new rates  NOW (with less than a month away - as I type - and there are Bank Holidays in-between). It's a bit odd increasing the price on 1st Jan (a Bank Holiday)! To have to pay more is bad enough not to be able to find the increased costs is rubbing salt into the wound.DISGUSTING!!

• bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,109 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 3 December 2020 at 2:29PM
    Options
    001uk said:
    Try finding the new rates on the websites of Royal Mail/PO! Are other posting services seeing increases (Overseas, Parcels, Special Delivery)? If you're in business particularly Mail Order we need to know all the new rates  NOW (with less than a month away - as I type - and there are Bank Holidays in-between). It's a bit odd increasing the price on 1st Jan (a Bank Holiday)! To have to pay more is bad enough not to be able to find the increased costs is rubbing salt into the wound.DISGUSTING!!

Prices from 1 January 2021  https://www.royalmail.com/sites/royalmail.com/files/2020-11/royal-mail-our-prices-1-january-2021.pdf

• Hodgie
    Hodgie Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 December 2020 at 10:41AM
    Options
    Increases in postage costs tend to be emotive.  Yes, we used to get two deliveries a day and more during the run up to Christmas.  The amount of post (ignoring unwanted adverts) is a fraction of what it was ten years ago due to electronic mail, so the number of deliveries has reduced.  This has affected on income.
    The infrastructure still has to be available despite the reduction in throughput so there is little opportunity to reduce costs there so price increases are inevitable.
    A fairer point would be what is the historical percentage of annual household income spent on Royal Mail (or Post Office) letter postage?  Apart from greetings cards, few people send letters.  Even businesses use electronic mail for legal documents.  
    Is criticising the service reasonable?
    An personal example is that of out local shop.  Most people in the area used one of the many supermarkets in the area as they gave the impression that they were cheaper.  Some used the shop for the occasional purchase and a few, who enjoyed the convenience of its location used it two or three times a week.  Inevitably, I think it's called progress, the local shop was no longer financially viable and it closed.  The outcry of disappointment was incredible.  If a small number of complainers had used the shop it is likely to have survived.
    The only difference is that Royal Mail has a duty to provide a postal service so needs to charge a rate in order that it survives.
    No, I do not have, or have ever had, been an employee of Royal Mail or Post Office.
  • r.supwards
    Options
    Check out Gustamps of Brighton ...you will not be disappointed!!
  • Bashyacta
    Options
    I’ve found several sites on line that offer large discounts on postage stamps (eg “quickstamps4u”, offering 180 1st class stamps for £94.99) but I’m a little concerned that they don’t get a mention on this website. Have people used these? Are they genuine?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback