Advent Calendars - what's happening!

Options
londonice
londonice Posts: 62 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 6 January 2021 at 8:06AM in Gone off!
Hi all,

Any supermarket managers on the forum know what's the new policy on advent calendars as they've all been pulled from the shelves?
Every year previous to this year, it's been no problem getting bargain priced advent calendars but it seems that this year all of it has gone.  Any insider knowledge would be helpful here!

Thanks in advance. 
Managing well since 2012
Debt-free

Comments

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How do you know they have been pulled and not just sold out?

I would expect due to the pandemic and everything being a bit gloomy  this year, more people have purchased advent calenders to cheer themselves up.
  • londonice
    Options
    Oh well then that'd be great, every one sold without wastage.  Stranger things have happened.  But I've kept my eye on stocks and it's very unlikely all have sold in such a short space of time from yesterday to today. Maybe my waistline will thank me for not getting two calendars (one at work and one at home).  Still it's nice to find out what's the true fate of the advent calendars, e.g. all unsold calendars get donated to foodbanks.  I'll keep looking.

Like I said if anyone who works at a supermarket has any info, it's greatly received.
    Managing well since 2012
    Debt-free
  • od244051
    od244051 Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I work for an essential retailer and we did sell out yesterday lunch time. We had Cadbury DM, Malteaser, Celebrations and a couple of others. Plus Match Attax one with cards behind each door.

My friend was asked last year on Dec 16th if they had any at her work. She knew the date as it’s her Dad’s birthday 
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was in BNM on Friday 27th and they had a bare few. My friend daftly left it til last minute and was unable tog et one for his two kids yesterday.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Personally when I worked for a supermarket in a management role, at my store, we used to just mark them right down and give first opportunity to buy to the staff, saves taking up space and fights that we had seen in the past between customers. 
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Fights over advent calendars? Wow.

It wouldn't be exactly hard to make your own, it's only a printed sheet with tear lines in it with cheap crappy "gifts" inside each little holder.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bacman said:
    Fights over advent calendars? Wow.

It wouldn't be exactly hard to make your own, it's only a printed sheet with tear lines in it with cheap crappy "gifts" inside each little holder.
    A lot of them are no longer cheap and crappy.  There are wine/cider ones for £60 a pop!!! and there are make up ones etc.
    I personally have reusable fabric ones that get filled each year from a tin of celebrations.  I am not getting caught up in all this sillness.  If they pay £60 for advent calendar how much do they spend on the main gifts!!!!
    Yours
    Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    MarkN88 said:
    Personally when I worked for a supermarket in a management role, at my store, we used to just mark them right down and give first opportunity to buy to the staff, saves taking up space and fights that we had seen in the past between customers. 
    Christmas time was the best time to see a fight in a supermarket. 

I’ve seen two women scrapping over the last bottle of juice, two grown men arguing over coffee and I had a frozen turkey chucked at me when I refused to let someone jump the queue. 
  • annieb64
    annieb64 Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Oxfam had the chocolate ones reduced on Wednesday so might be worth trying as their shops will have been shut for a month .
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I would imagine stocks sold through quickly given that some shops had to close down so once the supermarkets sold out and other retailers reopened I’d imagine people grabbed them whilst they could! 
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback