Remortgaging - First Month's Interest?

Adamc
Adamc Posts: 440 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 10 July 2020 at 4:35PM in Mortgages & endowments
Hi all

We've just remortgaged switching from one bank to another (literally today 10th July).
We have paid our previous provider July's instalment and we are due to pay our new provider at the beginning of August.
The first payment is £200 higher than the subsequent monthly repayments? Around £800 rather than £600. 

Is interest usually charged in areas? So have I paid June's interest at the beginning of July? 
I just want to make sure there's not a £200 overlap in interest repayments ... (however, I do realised that this is very unlikely and just wanted someone to remind/clarify my understanding) 

Thank you. 

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 July 2020 at 4:42PM
    Interest is charged in arrears. The July payment made will have included the interest for June. 

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    There can be overlap depending on the exact dates of interest payment and the redemption, some time the redemption figure may not include the last payment so you can be due a refund of some of that.

There can be a little overlap of interest days as the new money gets drawn down earlier than the old lender gets paid off
  • Adamc
    Adamc Posts: 440 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 July 2020 at 8:02PM
    There can be overlap depending on the exact dates of interest payment and the redemption, some time the redemption figure may not include the last payment so you can be due a refund of some of that.

There can be a little overlap of interest days as the new money gets drawn down earlier than the old lender gets paid off

Would any errors be rectified by the lenders and legal team or do I need to ensure I haven't been charged twice myself?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Adamc said:

Would any errors be rectified by the lenders and legal team or do I need to ensure I haven't been charged twice myself?
    Any overpayment will come back to you from the lender automatically, it won't just be pocketed by them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback