Forum Home» Campaigns Corner

WOWCHER - a scam allowed to abuse the rules?

New Post Advanced Search

WOWCHER - a scam allowed to abuse the rules?

15 replies 282 views
JonnyHendoJonnyHendo Forumite
7 posts
First Post
Wowcher is a scam - pure and simple.

The fact they require you to 'buy' a Voucher to then trade off against a 'merchant' deal is the issue.

You now have TWO contracts - the first one (the Wowcher Voucher) is all they are bothered about. The 'merchants' they use can be anyone - I've seen the 'copy and paste' reply when you question their vetting process on numerous occasions.

So when your delivery doesn't arrive/is nothing like the photo/is broken/is incomplete, Wowcher ask you to deal direct with the 'merchant' and wipe their hands of you. At best, if you can prove you haven't received what you purchased, you'll get 'Wowcher Wallet' credit, which will expire in 14 days, so your only option is to use Wowcher again (you know, that company that has just totally screwed you over) within 14 days or you lose ALL your money. And the cycle continues.

Roland Bryan is the chap behind this scam (I can't post LinkedIn as I'm new but you can find it - CEO WOWCHER)

Have a look on TrustPilot (I can't post link as I'm new but you can find it - WOWCHER TRUSTPILOT)
They are inundated with BAD reviews - then all of a sudden, you see a whole load of 5 star positive reviews (usually one liners with very obvious grammar and spelling issues throughout them all).

So, not only am I calling out Wowcher as being an absolute scam (personal experience and issues I cannot go into here due to ongoing legal proceedings*), but they are also manipulating Trust Pilot.

NEVER place ANY order with this scam company.

Replies

• Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like to add something that is not obvious?
  • JonnyHendoJonnyHendo Forumite
    7 posts
    First Post
    *I've realised I can post about my experience as I haven't yet had a full court order.
    Might be better to do this is a bullet point list:
    1) So, I placed an order for £399 for a Ratan Garden L-Shaped sofa and table - reduced from £799.  Date of delivery was 07/07/2020 (or before - as stated on the website)

2) Sent email to 'merchant' (as you are requested to do) as no delivery made.  A very garbled email reply saying it would be despatched soon and I'd have confirmation from the courier.  

3) I decided to look at the website the email was from (www.thesilverlane.co.uk) and oh my word!  - At this point, I should say I'm a graphic artist and I spend a lot of my time marketing companies via web design social media so I know a little about what a good website is and what a bad website is:
    a) None of the footer links of the website work
    b) Website suggests they have been trading - a quick 'whois' suggests the site has been live since October 2019
    c) Official address (7 Bell Yard London WC2A 2JR) is a mail forwarding company (thelondonoffice.com) [they are hiding their actual address]
    d) They are/were selling 3 products [they've now added to these since my investigation]
    e) Phone number only goes through to an answering machine of another company name

4) It was obvious I had been scammed - I 'webcatted' Wowcher via their website (pointless sending emails as you get generic responses).  I got numerous generic responses again until I started to mention things that I knew about (having a little knowledge in the area) and I suddenly got personal responses to my questions.  Regardless of outcome, I would be advertising this on all my social channels as well as informing the police.  

5) As I was mid webchat, I got a phone call from the 'merchant' (thesilverlane) and a lady told me 'There had been an absolute mess this end and can we offer you another one instead'.... I looked on their website to see these newly update images (they weren't there 24 hours earlier).  I decline and asked for a full refund to which she said they would do via Wowcher.
    I continued the web chat to inform them (if they didn't know already) that this conversation had taken place - I smelt a rat straight away.  Rather strange that I'm getting a phone call from the 'merchant' as I'm midway through a web chat with 'Wowcher' don't you think?  They couldn't possibly be connected surely? ****head in palms****

6) I'm now waiting for a FULL REFUND (not Wowcher Vouchers) and I'll be pursuing the case through various channels regardless as this is an obvious scam.

7 posts
    First Post
    ***UPDATE*** 
    Email from Wowcher to tell me they have contacted merchant - generic email I won't even bother posting.
    My response:
    You are on notice that I am pursuing damages and interest regardless of outcome of cleared funds back to my payment method in 3 days as of this email.  It is clear that sufficient investigation into this company was not completed by Wowcher/Roland Bryan [named here as personal damages will be sort]. 
    To clarify my investigation and your lack of:

1) Merchants website (thesilverline.co.uk) originated in October 2019 (although they say they have traded for 8 years)

2) There is no company house data on this 'merchant'

3) Phone number goes to voicemail

4) Website footer links do not work

5) 'Merchants' address is an address of www.thelondonoffice.com (a mail forwarding company).

You will be aware that I am not the only one of the 85 orders that have been unable to be fulfilled. 

Without prejudice, you are on notice once more that full damages and interest against Wowcher will be sort due to your lack investigation into thesilverline.co.uk that you recommended as a suitable merchant through your website.

Jon Henderson

7 posts
    First Post
    Carrot007 said:
    Like to add something that is not obvious?
    Very helpful - thank you.
  • edited 9 July at 8:11AM
    HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 July at 8:11AM
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
    7 posts
    First Post
    Hi Has been,
    That isn't the furniture but that is the company - thanks for the link.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is this Rule in the thread title ??
  • edited 9 July at 3:15PM
    HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 July at 3:15PM
    JJ_Egan said:
    What is this Rule in the thread title ??
    Is not the rule that new OP thread title's  have to include certain key words e.g. Scam?  o:) 

But:
    OP yes, what rules exactly are you inferring to? 

What campaign do you wish to start? Or is this a vent / warning? Or a consumer issue?

Depending on how you perceive your current situation, there are separate boards, as per above where you may receive relevant advice helpful to your current position. :)
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes agree with all points .
  • edited 9 July at 11:04PM
    MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    540 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 9 July at 11:04PM
    You seem like a person obsessed. But what I've found with Wowcher, and all the other voucher companies ('cos Wowcher isn't the only one) is that if you look at what they're selling and then just do your own google search for the products on offer, you can always find the same things at similar prices elsewhere. You don't have to go through Wowcher or whatever, and have you even thought about all the time you're wasting from your one and only life on this silliness? Let it go. You will be much happier, I can guarantee.