New Post Advanced Search

Help a student!

edited 26 June at 6:07PM in Student Money Saving
9 replies 116 views
Jas212Jas212 Forumite
7 posts
First Post
edited 26 June at 6:07PM in Student Money Saving
Hello, I'm a student, considering University and trying to plan my future.

I am just wondering if anyone can advise me on what jobs/degrees I can do that helps many people and has really good pay. I am aiming to study for a max of 3 years. 

I have considered adult nursing but I'm very shy and quiet.

It is my dream to live in LA with my mum and sister, but I heard the easiest way to get there is through an employer sponsoring you.

Thankyou for your help!

Replies

• SocajamSocajam Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    If your is a US citizen or green card holder, she could start the process.
    As you are not from one of those "shithole" countries, I assume you would be ok.
    Or you could apply to an American university to do your course of study - just bear in mind that higher education is extremely expensive.
    I would suggest you sit down and write out what your interests are, why you like doing etc and plan your future on
    It seems as if you are looking for a job that pays well, but do you have any idea if you would really like to do those jobs.
    Make :google" your friend and start the hard work of researching different types of job, education required, pay scale, experience etc.
    Once you put in the hard work, then you move on to phase 2 to see which university is suitable to what your research shows
  • Jas212Jas212 Forumite
    7 posts
    First Post
    Socajam said:
    If your is a US citizen or green card holder, she could start the process.
    As you are not from one of those "shithole" countries, I assume you would be ok.
    Or you could apply to an American university to do your course of study - just bear in mind that higher education is extremely expensive.
    I would suggest you sit down and write out what your interests are, why you like doing etc and plan your future on
    It seems as if you are looking for a job that pays well, but do you have any idea if you would really like to do those jobs.
    Make :google" your friend and start the hard work of researching different types of job, education required, pay scale, experience etc.
    Once you put in the hard work, then you move on to phase 2 to see which university is suitable to what your research shows
    Thanks so much for your reply! I will definitely do a lot of research, just wondered if anyone knew of any good careers thag may be suitable for me.

Do you think that if I apply to an American University, that I can take my mum and sister too? How would we live there once my degree is over, perhaps find a job ASAP?

• JayRitchieJayRitchie Forumite
    510 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Are you a US citizen or Green card holder? Without knowing that no-one can advise. Are you aware of how much US universities cost unless you qualify for in state fees, and that most undergrad degrees there are 4 years?
  • Jas212Jas212 Forumite
    7 posts
    First Post
    Are you a US citizen or Green card holder? Without knowing that no-one can advise. Are you aware of how much US universities cost unless you qualify for in state fees, and that most undergrad degrees there are 4 years?
    No, unfortunately I'm not a US citzen or green card holder. My family and I are UK citizens. I think I'm probably better off going to a university here in the UK. Its just been our dream for a very long time to a live in LA, but Im not sure what's the quickest and easiest way for us all to live there? I appreciate your advice.
    510 posts
    ✭✭
    Jas212 said:
    No, unfortunately I'm not a US citzen or green card holder. My family and I are UK citizens. I think I'm probably better off going to a university here in the UK. Its just been our dream for a very long time to a live in LA, but Im not sure what's the quickest and easiest way for us all to live there? I appreciate your advice.
    you could look at universities which let you do a year in the US - might be a good move. Is there a quick or easy way to move to the US? No. Maybe a good IT worker has a better chance than most but in general its very tough to get in.
    510 posts
    ✭✭
    Oh - if you do STEM phds that can be a good route.
  • Jas212Jas212 Forumite
    7 posts
    First Post
    I'm so grateful for your advice, thankyou!! I do have an offer for adult nursing at university and they have a study abroad option which I can hopefully take. Do you think I have a good chance to be employed over there?
    510 posts
    ✭✭
    Jas212 said:
    I'm so grateful for your advice, thankyou!! I do have an offer for adult nursing at university and they have a study abroad option which I can hopefully take. Do you think I have a good chance to be employed over there?
    It depends on their immigration policy for nursing - you should probably look on American forums and see if there are any useful skills/ certifications which might help you, and what the rules/ processes are. My uneducated guess is that its very tough to get in as we would hear of more people doing that if it were more feasible as an option. Have you looked at Canada?
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You generally need to be sponsored by an employer to get a visa to work there.I would think your mother and sister would have to apply and qualify in their own right.