New Post Advanced Search

Going out again.

610 replies 63.6K views
needmoneyneedmoney Forumite
4.9K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
Hello all I started isolation on March16th not clinically shielded mainly because of autoimmune condition and being over 70yrs.
As are most people I am fed up being stuck in for so long and have now become afraid to venture out feeling that I have dodged the virus up to now but also feeling I can't stay in forever.
I have had two very very sort walks outside, painful hip and my joints have suffered not getting the usual shopping which served as excercise for me, I've also gained a little weight not by over eating (ok maybe a few more bicuits  :D ) but less movement.
Can I ask how are any  of you with similar conditions feeling about going out and about again?

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Replies

• needmoneyneedmoney Forumite
    4.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pollycat said:

I'm not rushing out to go to non-essential shops.
    I'll not be rushing out to pubs, restaurants or cafes when they open either.

Pollycat I'm not bothered about those either just food shopping and walking around the food shops. I live alone but my daughter is fab about doing my shopping so I don't have to worry about that it's just the sense of wanting to get normal again if you know what I mean that's if things ever get normal again.
    I'm probably afraid I'll become institutionalised and my mobility has suffered from all those weeks
    I'm not moaning just wondering how others feel  :)
    Maman nice you can get into the countryside.

Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

4.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    s. 

Yesterday DD asked if I had any thoughts on going out and I had to admit it's been worrying me but I realise I can't stay isolated forever! So this morning she rang and asked if I felt up to going to the garden centre over the hill . I didn't stop to think I just said yes before I changed my mind! Anyway I donned my mask, put my big girls knickers on and, once in her car, I wasn't worried at all. It just felt normal! It was very quiet, people well distanced and quite a few in masks. I really enjoyed my little outing and spent far too much money!
    Aww that's lovely, glad for you.
    I'll have to find my big girls knickers too :D
    I'm sure the pleasure outweighed overspending.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    needmoney said:
    Hello all I started isolation on March16th not clinically shielded mainly because of autoimmune condition and being over 70yrs.
    As are most people I am fed up being stuck in for so long and have now become afraid to venture out feeling that I have dodged the virus up to now but also feeling I can't stay in forever.
    I have had two very very sort walks outside, painful hip and my joints have suffered not getting the usual shopping which served as excercise for me, I've also gained a little weight not by over eating (ok maybe a few more bicuits  :D ) but less movement.
    Can I ask how are any  of you with similar conditions feeling about going out and about again?

Mum is feeling the same. 

During lockdown she was in desperate want to go out, but now she is allowed out, she's putting it off

She finally made it to the Gps yesterday to put him her prescription but came back pretty white and shaken and is in no rush to go back out again

Well done for getting out for a couple of short walks at least

If I were in your shoes I would just increase those short walks. I don't know where you live, town or country, but if in a town or city, perhaps go very early in the morning? Maybe go every day, just to the end of the road and back until your joint start loosening again. I stopped my daily walks as I hate walking alone. I started again this week and whereas a five mile walk used to be the norm, we are feeling it after a two mile walk but we know if we keep at it we will find it easier

As for Covid, keep your social distance and avoid crowds. As the infection rate drops you will start feeling more confident 
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't been 'out' since March 7th - the day after I got back from a work trip. I went out and did a bit of emergency shopping, and developed a fever a couple of days later so was isolating for about 10 weeks. Since I've been clear of symptoms I've been for walks with my brother or one of his two kids (individually, when we were limited to one person at a time), been to the village shop (you're not allowed in - you stand in the door and they get what you want, and then use contactless payment, while the queue is distanced up the street!) and talked to a few neighbours over their gates or mine. 

I've had one visitor - other than my brother who occasionally comes to retrieve his belongings from my garage. All shopping (other than asparagus from the village shop) has been online and I'm happy to keep it that way. I may try to use the village shop a bit more, but I need to get there when there is no clue to talk to them more about what they can do in terms of meat/veg. 

I may need to buy some more summer clothes at some point as I've lost weight (deliberately) since last summer and don't have much that fits. But I'm hoping that I can do that online, even though returns are a PITA as the post office only opens two half days a week. 

Like @Pollycat I'm happy pottering in the garden, although I do need to start going for walks now I'm recovered. Yoga and pilates and gardening are great, but I'd like to get back to running (and hopefully everyone else will give it up so it won't be quite so busy round here...)
    4.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all for replying.
    suki1964 said:

"She finally made it to the Gps yesterday to put him her prescription but came back pretty white and shaken and is in no rush to go back out again"

Aww sorry about that I know how she feels. When I mention I'm afraid to go out my daughter laughingly  says it's not around the corner waiting for you :D but it feels like.
    Smiling at 5 mile walk, my walks were a slow walk around town  but it kept me moving now even weeding and housework are so painful but have to keep on.
    well done on losing weight and happy you've recovered.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Barny1979Barny1979 Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been working from home since 23rd March, not intending on going into the office this calendar year and not going to shops, travel etc for the rest of the year either.
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs 2019 - 285 AFDs 2020 - 159 AFDs to end of July
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £1809/£1809, 2020 - £1768.10/£1750
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    needmoney said:
    Thanks all for replying.
    suki1964 said:

"She finally made it to the Gps yesterday to put him her prescription but came back pretty white and shaken and is in no rush to go back out again"

Aww sorry about that I know how she feels. When I mention I'm afraid to go out my daughter laughingly  says it's not around the corner waiting for you :D but it feels like.
    Smiling at 5 mile walk, my walks were a slow walk around town  but it kept me moving now even weeding and housework are so painful but have to keep on.
    well done on losing weight and happy you've recovered.

Whilst your daughter is correct, she could have phrased it more thoughtfully.

The one thing you have to keep mindful of, is we had to be made fearful so as we would stay home. Unfortunately once fear has taken hold, its hard to shake off. Im terribly afraid of heights, so afraid I don't cross bridges or piers for example. I once made Mr S drive the whole of the M25 back home because I refused point black to cross the bridge.

Most  people would think that fear was excessive and probably a bit daft, but for me its real and frightening

Mum has decided to go back out on Saturday to lift her prescription. I have offered to collect it, Ive offered to go with her but she wants to do this one as the chemist has a big carpark beside it and she knows they are very very strict with the social distancing

Please do try to go out every day, just a short walk at your own pace. When you start to feel anxious, turn and go home. Don't let the anxiety overwhelm and don't let it stop you going out the next day. Can your daughter go with you? or do you have some ear phones and something portable to listen to music to keep you distracted? You know yourself how much not moving has affected you physically and you also know deep down you do have to get some exercise to ease the pain.

You can get aids to use in the house to help, my step dad was housebound and we got him one of those little cycle things, you know just the pedals so you move your legs from the comfort of your chair? They serve a purpose and may help you, but won't. help with your mental health which really does need a change of scenery and fresh air

Please don't give up, it is scary going out there. I had to work during the first 10 weeks and I admit I was scared and the shopping trips were hell on earth at first, and yes I do still get uptight if a shop appears for mr to be too busy, but I had to do it and it did get easier the more I had to do it

if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it