Sonic Direct comp scam

Nothing against the organisers here but I've received a scam message and almost fell for it so just want to warn others

Entered a competition on Sonic Direct's Facebook page for a Dyson vacuum cleaner. Got a reply on my shared post saying I'd won and to check their profile. What I didn't see at first was that the post was from Soniic-Direct, nothing to do with Sonic Direct. They had a post on their page saying I'd won and a short link to click on. I think more than a few people could fall for this. I've messaged the organisers and reported the page to Facebook.

2012-£227, 2013-£9201, 2014-£13,323, 2015-£1,463
2019 Wins - Venture Photoshoot, Tesco & Heart Voucher

ITV Winners Club Member # 124
£2015 in 2015 - £1290/£2015

Comments

• pate-ci0
    pate-ci0 Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    There have been a lot of these. They come from accounts with almost identical names to the real ones and as above, say "you win, check my profile". As you say, these are scams and for goodness sake do NOT click through to their profile where you are likely to pick up a nasty virus (though at least not the Covid-19 one....
    I have never had a real win notification that requires you to do this.
  • grannybiker
    grannybiker Posts: 12,128 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    pate-ci0 said:
    There have been a lot of these. They come from accounts with almost identical names to the real ones and as above, say "you win, check my profile". As you say, these are scams and for goodness sake do NOT click through to their profile where you are likely to pick up a nasty virus (though at least not the Covid-19 one....
    I have never had a real win notification that requires you to do this.
    What Pate-ci0 said x
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure