Forum Home» Health & Beauty MoneySaving

snoring and mouth guard to stop it?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

snoring and mouth guard to stop it?

4 replies 76 views

I have a mouth guard from s4sdental.com    .  I had it made 6 years ago, but never got confident using it to have a proper test of the product.  Needed someone to go through using it with me.   I did use it but not properly or enough.   I would like to stop my snoring as I  don't want to annoy people sleeping near me.

Replies

• _shel_shel Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
     Hubby has one, did nothing for his snoring and he used to take it out in his sleep. 
    Don't Buy The S*n
  • brook2jack2brook2jack2 Forumite
    107 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    If it is one of the ones that need adjusting until it is at the right level you are best waiting until your dentist can see you , adjust it to the right starting position and show you how to advance it until it is at the optimal position.
    Also if it was made 6 years ago and you've not worn it since then it may not fit properly still. 

If you have been screened for sleep apnoea and the cause of your snoring gets diagnosed these appliances can be very effective for many but there are no guarantees. 
  • edited 20 May at 9:04AM
    sin_citysin_city Forumite
    74 posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts
    edited 20 May at 9:04AM
    _shel said:
     Hubby has one, did nothing for his snoring and he used to take it out in his sleep. 
    It's worth trying though, isn't it.   It was personally made for me- moulded to my teeth about 7 years ago so hopefully still fits.  I think try and find the dentist who made it (if I can) and go in get them to go through how to use it.  I've tried to use it on and off over the last few years after talking to the lab who made it but never had the confidence to use it properly- one time i set it too far forward too quickly and my jaw hurt.   

Good news is one time I did wear it(which was/is hardly ever) I didn't tell my ex missus but in the night she grabbed my jaw to see if it was in my mouth- I think she did this because she was so used to listening to me snore and on that particular occasion I obviously wasn't.

Dentists are insanely expensive too but just need to run through using it I reckon which will be good for my motivation and confidence to crack on and use it 'properly'.  I'm skint.
  • edited 20 May at 9:10AM
    sin_citysin_city Forumite
    74 posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts
    edited 20 May at 9:10AM
    If it is one of the ones that need adjusting until it is at the right level you are best waiting until your dentist can see you , adjust it to the right starting position and show you how to advance it until it is at the optimal position.
    Also if it was made 6 years ago and you've not worn it since then it may not fit properly still. 

If you have been screened for sleep apnoea and the cause of your snoring gets diagnosed these appliances can be very effective for many but there are no guarantees. 
    I did a sleep apnoea test in Japan.  I used to live there.  I did it about 12 years ago.  I took it home and got a score of 8; I think out of a possible 40.  I was told I had mild sleep apnoea, .  Anything from 5 below means you don't have it.   They obviously didn't think I needed one of those breathing machines.   

Very concerning story about sleep apnoea is with a friend of mine who snored a lot and then stopped breathing in his sleep  (wife's observation).  He went to his GP but got fobbed off with -you just need to lose weight etc and not taken seriously.  His wife knew this wasn't right .  She's Brazilian and booked him into a private sleep clinic in Brazil- scarily he had the second worst sleep apnoea they had ever seen.   When he got back to the UK the NHS was brilliant and sorted him out with a machine etc once he showed them the results from the clinic.

Sometimes with chronic health conditions the best thing is to either go privately in the UK or possibly even better to go abroad.