Gym membership

Options
Hi

Can anyone advise me if I can cancel my gym membership now they have been closed down? 

Comments

• Retireby40
    Retireby40 Posts: 772 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You can usually cancel a gym membership st any time with 30 days notice. No doubt the gym has been in contact with you regarding protocol. 
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,310 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Check your gym fb page or website for their own up to date info. Snapfitness that I use has stated that no April payment will be debited from any member, and that payments would not be taken whist the gyms were closed. Their policy for cancellation has always been 30 days notice, and that still applies. Before the closure they were also offering 3 month freeze options.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Galloglass
    Galloglass Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    edited 21 March 2020 at 12:33PM
    Options
    Search for "frustrated contracts". This one is going to come up quite often
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Reform_(Frustrated_Contracts)_Act_1943

The key point is the almost all membership contracts work well. Where it fails for some reason it will be due to one or other of the parties failing to comply with a term. There is a separate group of failed contracts where it has failed through no fault of either party which are termed "frustrated". This is the situation here. And only yesterday have had people try to ignore the "frustrated" bit and attempting to hold people liable for a service they can't provide.

Just a heads up to make sure you do everything in writing, get proof it was sent and keep a copy. Can guarantee in 6 years time someone will be trying to issue a claim for these service failings.
    • All land is owned. If you are not on yours, you are on someone else's
    • When on someone else's be it a road, a pavement, a right of way or a property there are rules. Don't assume there are none.
    • "Free parking" doesn't mean free of rules. Check the rules and if you don't like them, go elsewhere
    • All land is owned. If you are not on yours, you are on someone else's and their rules apply.
    Just visiting - back in 2025
  • missibleu
    Options
    Very helpful thank you Galloglass
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    For anyone reading this who uses monthly gym passes with Hussle they have said to me that if I email them they will suspect my current pass until the gym is open again. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,322 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm with The Gym, they are suspending everyones payments until open again. (I actually signed up to the one being build across the road, was supposed to open April 14th, been waiting since Jan :D)
    I imagine most gyms would follow suit.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • Galloglass
    Galloglass Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Options
    Just a heads up on this one. Contract law - including frustration of contract - still applies. 

What the gym have done, is to offer you a variation to the contract by introducing the paused payment. You can either accept it and continue as usual when the gyms reopen but if you want to drop the contract, you could refuse and go for the straight cancellation based on frustration.

Same applies to things like Easyjet flights where they offer a variation when in fact you can get your money back if they are not flying. Companies being "helpful" is sometimes not helpful. 
    • All land is owned. If you are not on yours, you are on someone else's
    • When on someone else's be it a road, a pavement, a right of way or a property there are rules. Don't assume there are none.
    • "Free parking" doesn't mean free of rules. Check the rules and if you don't like them, go elsewhere
    • All land is owned. If you are not on yours, you are on someone else's and their rules apply.
    Just visiting - back in 2025
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport