Wedding Brunch invite advice please!!

Options
anna_1977
anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 26 February 2020 at 11:52AM in Weddings & anniversaries
I'm hoping someone can advise. The day after the wedding we are planning on a wedding brunch for friends/family who have come from afar. We are not paying for this as it's just not feasible. I want to create invites for these people but don't know how to word it! TIA

Comments

• pickledonionspaceraider
    Options
    An invite will have some people thinking it is free of charge
    How many are there?  
    With love, POSR <3
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Why a wedding brunch after the wedding?
    Is this something people have suggested to you as a good idea of a way of extending their visit if they have 'come from afar'? To maybe spend more time with friends & family that they don't see very often?

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    People who have come from afar, generally the day after want a quick getaway to travel back home to get ready for their working week.

However:-
    Dear xxx
    Thank you for coming to our wedding, we will be at (name of pub / hotel) on (date) at (time) for a brunch, if you would like to join us we will see you there, there is a cost of £(xxx) per person, payable direct to the pub / hotel.
    Regards Mr & Mrs xxx

Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We had something similar after our wedding but we were off on honeymoon.
    Simply have a chat with people that you know are still in the area and offer it and at that point you can explain that people will have to pay for their own meal.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 March 2020 at 10:15AM
    Options
    Truthfully? If I couldn't pay for it I wouldn't bother. I find it cringe-worthy asking people to 'create' your event by paying themselves. I am genuinely curious though whether I'm getting old-fashioned in this regard and not moving with the times. I suppose if you frame it as a suggested brunch place for the day after if people want to get themselves a send-off meal and perhaps continue the socials with some wedding guests it might be OK. However calling it a 'wedding brunch' and issuing proper invitations does sound like it should be paid for to me.
    I don't meant to offend and am genuinely curious if its me getting out of touch (and I'm not that old yet !!) - I say this as parent to very young adults wondering how much we're going to clash when it comes to the 'right' way of doing big events which might crop up in the next few years.
    PS Practically speaking, if guests are staying over won't some be in hotels with breakfast included?

Options
    Yeh I think you are old fashioned @warby68.  I think that is a bit unfair with the 'creating your event' comment
    It is completely normal now.  I mean all these stag and hen weekends etc, it isn't the bridal party funding everyone
    With love, POSR <3
  • anna_1977
    Options
    Thanks for the comments - for some reason the forum only told me today I had replies!
    It's for relatives and friends that are coming from abroad or 5+ hours. About 30 people in total and that includes us & our 4 kids.
    i think I'll just mention it verbally to the people we want to come, as most are family or incredibly close friends I can't imagine they'll be offended, they know we are paying for the wedding ourselves and don't have unlimited finds!  
    Options
    anna_1977  I dont think they would be offended, if i was a guest I would expect to pay for this.  I wouldn't call it a wedding brunch though, I would just ask them if they fancy a get together, a meet up before they all go home, and keep it casual - and in the casual invite, tell them that meals cost approx ££'s each. It is standard procedure
    With love, POSR <3
  • anna_1977
    Options
    thanks so much for your help POSR I'll do that, verbal invites beforehand 
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are you all staying in the same hotel or are you booking a brunch location separately?  If separately then I guess you will need to know numbers.

We wed in a hotel and family from afar were staying. We got a slight discount on 10 rooms (effectively the cost of breakfast) and on our wedding page we let people know we would be in the dining area for breakfast between x and x and hoped they would join us.

Everybody who stayed came and it was lovely for us to say goodbye to them sober (I also dished out wedding cake in huge quantities to those who wanted to take it away so it didn't go to waste)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure