Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe

Pls remember Debt-Free Wannabe's for support and help not judgement

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Pls remember Debt-Free Wannabe's for support and help not judgement

edited 19 February at 7:48PM in Debt-Free Wannabe
6 replies 975 views
Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
6.3K posts
Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
edited 19 February at 7:48PM in Debt-Free Wannabe
Martin (Lewis) made the following announcement a few years back.  But the link in the stickies is broken.  Anyhow, here is what Martin said:

"Dear Money savers.....

Debt Free Wannabe is one of my favorite boards on this site. It's also one which runs a delicate balance. Many people who have serious debts have hidden them for a time, been scared to confront them, suffered depression or have even had suicidal thoughts because of them. While elsewhere on the site robust discussion is welcomed, in Debt Free Wannabe may I politely ask Money Savers to err on the side of kindness.

Of course many are in debt due to over-spending, financial illiteracy, or mismanagement of money (and some through no fault, only due to change of circumstance). Yet the fact they are here means they're looking for help, guidance and to take charge of their finances - and that in itself is admirable Please use your knowledge and kindness to help rather than to berate. This board often has the power to move me to tears with the sheer power of the community that's grown and I hope it will continue.

If you feel it’s important to point something out that the poster may find negative but needs to understand, then it's not a problem, but do think carefully about your phrasing - people can be very sensitive and nuances may mislead when it’s in an online Forum. I love this forum. Many have been and seen through their debts. Yet as it gets larger it's easy for the 'anonymity' of posting to mean as well as protecting users, it's easy to 'post and leave'. I hope this note may act as a wee reminder what it's all about.

Martin" 

I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:

Replies

• EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    10.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO the line 

remember Debt-Free Wannabe's for support and help not judgement

Needs to be added to the top banner for this board, as it was on the old forum. 
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 :D
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
  • edited 20 February at 2:34PM
    Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 February at 2:34PM
    I just checked a screenshot of the old DFW board.  The announcement was actually the top sticky on the old board.  You can just about see it in the photo below: 

I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    10.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh yes - and the way it sat "always visible" was of course what made me think it must be in the forum header banner! 

Any chance if a board guide sees this (Sorry @sourcrates tagging you as you're the only one I can think of!) this thread could be drawn to the attention of the admins to try to get this sorted? It's actually quite important for this board to clearly display that message, I'd suggest. 
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 :D
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
  • edited 20 February at 4:32PM
    sourcratessourcrates Forumite, Board Guide
    21.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 February at 4:32PM
    Ahh yes - and the way it sat "always visible" was of course what made me think it must be in the forum header banner! 

Any chance if a board guide sees this (Sorry @sourcrates tagging you as you're the only one I can think of!) this thread could be drawn to the attention of the admins to try to get this sorted? It's actually quite important for this board to clearly display that message, I'd suggest. 
    There is a "SNAG LIST"  that runs into several pages, that the forum team are currently working on.
    As you can imagine a move on this scale has thrown up all kinds of problems, i will add it to the list though, but don`t expect anything to happen fast.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    [email protected].
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • D_M_ED_M_E Forumite
    3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If there wern't so many stickies on this board already, I would suggest - as a temporary measure - making this thread a stickie right at the top of the board until such time as the sentiment gets returned to its rightful place.

As well as closing this thread, of course.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 20 February at 8:51PM
    sourcratessourcrates Forumite, Board Guide
    21.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 February at 8:51PM
    D_M_E said:
    If there wern't so many stickies on this board already, I would suggest - as a temporary measure - making this thread a stickie right at the top of the board until such time as the sentiment gets returned to its rightful place.

As well as closing this thread, of course.
    Good thinking.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    [email protected].
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support