Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms» Discussion Time

School fines parents £1 for every 5 minutes they are late picking their children up

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

School fines parents £1 for every 5 minutes they are late picking their children up

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Discussion Time
27 replies 431 views
Terry_DactilTerry_Dactil Forumite
733 posts
500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Discussion Time
Quite right too. That'll learn em ;)

https://uk.yahoo.com/style/school-fines-parents-if-late-picking-up-their-children-115315386.html

Holy Trinity C of E Primary, in Gravesend, Kent introduced the new rules this week to try to tackle after-school lateness, and will target those picking up their children just ten minutes late - anytime after 3:40pm.

The move, which will reportedly also see teachers calling the authorities if pupils aren't collected before 4pm, hasn’t gone down well with all parents, with some claiming the policy punishes less well-off families.

Replies

• WillimSWillimS Forumite
    9.1K posts
    I think some parents think schools are a 'free' childminding service, they want their children to be taught how to behave, feed them, and look after them after school, teachers are there to 'teach, educate' (job description) they aren't childminders or surrogate parents, some parents are unbelievable.
  • chris_mchris_m Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    with some claiming the policy punishes less well-off families.

I spell the word in bold "p u n c t u a l"
  • zagfleszagfles Forumite
    16.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like quite cheap childminding. Someone earning £20 a hour would be in profit if they did 30 mins overtime and as a result were 30 mins late to pick their child up!
  • Dineen33Dineen33 Forumite
    303 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Dont schools have after school clubs ?
    Chess club ?
    Science club ?

Sounds like free babysitting.

Of course if a parent is so lackadaisical it cant turn up on time, I'm guessing it wont be paying any invoices.
  • lobbyluddlobbyludd Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    ah, DT, home of the practically perfect in every possible way.
    :AA/give up smoking (done) :)
  • DasaDasa Forumite
    612 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    How are they going to make them pay? What powers have they got?Going to hold onto the kids until they had the cash over?
  • DasaDasa Forumite
    612 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Dineen33 wrote: »
    Dont schools have after school clubs ?
    Chess club ?
    Science club ?

Sounds like free babysitting.

Of course if a parent is so lackadaisical it cant turn up on time, I'm guessing it wont be paying any invoices.

Reading the link it says the Head closed the after school club because it wasn't making any money.
  • HerzlosHerzlos Forumite
    12.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are after school clubs supposed to make money? I thought they were to help out working parents.

I'm torn here; parents have a duty to collect their kids on time, but if the school removed the after school club it's almost asking for this sort of thing to happen. How early should parents leave work in order to compensate for traffic?
  • chris_mchris_m Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Are after school clubs supposed to make money? I thought they were to help out working parents.

It could be selective editing in the article and simply that it wasn't making enough money to cover the cost of laying it on.

I wouldn't expect an after school club to make a profit but I also wouldn't expect it to make a loss.
  • The_RainmakerThe_Rainmaker Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    It all comes down to parental responsibility which is obviously lacking and expectation that someone else should pick up the pieces. Selfish behaviour.