Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms» Discussion Time

MSExit. UPDATE: Sneak Peak at the New Forum and More Info. FORUM CLOSES @ 3PM ON 6/2/20 Until 7/2/20 - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

MSExit. UPDATE: Sneak Peak at the New Forum and More Info. FORUM CLOSES @ 3PM ON 6/2/20 Until 7/2/20

edited 28 January 2020 at 10:29AM in Discussion Time
145 replies 3.9K views

Replies

• Terry_DactilTerry_Dactil Forumite
    733 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I predict lots of new users, as posters find they can no longer log in.

Or ofcourse they might just be trolls, best keep the report button handy.
    733 posts
    ✭✭
    The new MSE website will look like 1 of these:

The Vanilla website has a "showcase" section: https://vanillaforums.com/en/showcase/
    733 posts
    ✭✭
    Tallaght wrote: »

Here's what you need to know...

1. Logging in for the first time after the move
    You'll need to log in using the email address on your account, and will be required to reset your password as MSE will not be transferring your existing one for security reasons. If your email address isn't correct at the time of the switchover, then we will not be able to give you access after the move.

You must take action now: Click here to check and update your email address before 3 February 2020.

2. Profile pictures
    Due to the size of all the files, your profile picture will not be carried across to the new Forum. If you want to keep your current picture, please save it locally on your device and you can upload it again in the new Forum. Again, you'll need to do this before 3 February 2020.

3. Link tricks
    We know some of you use special tricks with URLs to change how many boards appear and to save search results. Not all of these tricks will be available after the launch.

We realise everyone uses the Forum in different ways. If you have lost any functionality after the launch as a result of the re-platform, let us know and we'll do what we can to restore it.

4. Thanks
    Over the years we've racked up a massive 230 million 'Thanks' on posts, which unfortunately can't be moved across. Don't worry though – everyone will be able to see a count of how many 'Thanks' you had on the old Forum in your profile, but 'Thanks' counts on posts will start again from scratch.

5. Competitions Time Entered and Skipped
    We are migrating the 'Entered' and 'Skipped' buttons for the Competitions Time boards, but importing the data will take a little longer (there are 170 million competition entries and 320 million skips), so we expect the Competitions Time boards will be unavailable for a few hours longer after the move while we make sure everything works as expected.

6. End of spaces in usernames
    One of the optimisations of the new Forum platform means that spaces in usernames will be replaced with underscores. You don't need to do anything here, we're just letting you know.

And finally...
    We are doing our best to keep disruption to a minimum and ask you to be patient with us. This is a massive move and we're making it to be able to keep the Forum thriving well into the future for you.

We can't wait to show it to you - not long now!"

MSE Tine
    Could you do with
  • WillimSWillimS Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Marisco wrote: »
    You don't have to, the phone shop has a gizmo that'll do it for you, at least mine did. I was transfering to the same make phone though, I don't know if it works between different makes.

I did that the last time, they transferred the data, but some of it never transferred, I lost some of contacts and data, and the new features altered the set-up of my pictures and other up-dated versions. I suppose you have to move with the times, I still use the old version of this site :D
    733 posts
    ✭✭
    WillimS wrote: »
    I suppose you have to move with the times, I still use the old version of this site :D

You wont be doing on the 3rd of February.
  • WillimSWillimS Forumite
    9.1K posts
    You wont be doing on the 3rd of February.

The old site will be gone completely, will it be a total new version?
  • MariscoMarisco Forumite
    42K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new MSE website will look like 1 of these:

The Vanilla website has a "showcase" section: https://vanillaforums.com/en/showcase/
    Just had a quick look and of them all, I prefer Digital Spy or Big Green Egg, they seem more "user friendly". Although I'd rather no change at all really, but given we have to I hope it's as simple as tihs present one.
  • fun4everyonefun4everyone Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    people seem to be irate about it.........so I am building a placard in preparation

Good, I will join you and all the other users of the green skin on Feb 3rd when we are forced onto the new forum.

giphy.gif
  • QuasarQuasar Forumite
    121.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the 3rd February is when I'm flying out of the UK for good, and for a few weeks I'll only have my phone internet. If I can log in to mse, fine, if not... though, I suppose.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.