New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Utter madness

edited 14 January 2020 at 5:29PM in Discussion Time
90 replies 1.1K views

Replies

• QuasarQuasar Forumite
    121.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    WillimS wrote: »
    We need to be realistic, the EU are going to clobber the UK with anything they can to make money out of us,.. the Leave voters will take it on the chin, I suspect the remain fanatics will soon be agreeing, we needed to GO.

Why should EU rules on what EU countries can or cannot sell/do affect the UK when it is out?

The UK will be able to decide for itself if every new phone comes with a charger, a bell and a frill. Paranoia doesn't really help make good arguments.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WillimS wrote: »
    We need to be realistic, the EU are going to clobber the UK with anything they can to make money out of us,.. the Leave voters will take it on the chin, I suspect the remain fanatics will soon be agreeing, we needed to GO.
    Do you concede that the proposal in question based on legitimate reasoning? Or is it just a general rant against the EU?

Your thread, your rules I suppose :whistle:
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • QuasarQuasar Forumite
    121.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Don_Two wrote: »
    Why not insist on cutting back unnecessary packaging, paperwork, accessories (who actually uses the el-cheapo earbuds so often still included) or even the bloatware?

Another favourite EU madness of mine is their insistence that false noise be added to new electric-powered cars!

Yes that is terrible - insisting that pedestrians and various road users can hear if a car is coming upon them. Whatever next.
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don_Two wrote: »
    Another favourite EU madness of mine is their insistence that false noise be added to new electric-powered cars!
    They are called silent-but-deadly with very good reason. I'd take a gentle hum over countless casualties any day.

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooh Q, we are so synch'd today!! :T

Maybe the EU will want to ban groupthink next :D

• NaughtiusMaximusNaughtiusMaximus Forumite
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent idea, I already have more USB cables and plugs than I need, I'm sure most people are the same. Any new ones I get [STRIKE]free[/STRIKE] factored into the selling price just get thrown out anyway.
    So what happens when you buy your first mobile phone?

You can be given one of the numerous spares mum/dad/siblings/whoever already have in a drawer. Any adult who wants a phone will already have one, these days most people get the first mobile well before they reach their teens.
  • QuasarQuasar Forumite
    121.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Ooh Q, we are so synch'd today!! :T

Maybe the EU will want to ban groupthink next :D

In three weeks time I will return to an EU country to take up my residence there again, vacating the current property in the UK. I will be replying to posts from there, and translating the most outrageous accusations levelled at the EU to my friends, over a glass of wine or two. :cool:

*awaits onslaught*
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quasar wrote: »
    In three weeks time I will return to an EU country to take up my residence there again, vacating the current property in the UK. I will be replying to posts from there, and translating the most outrageous accusations levelled at the EU to my friends, over a glass of wine or two. :cool:
    Yes, please do keep posting! We are all the better for your wisdom.

• QuasarQuasar Forumite
    121.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Yes, please do keep posting! We are all the better for your wisdom.

Now now... I can find a dozen or so people who would disagree with you. :D
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quasar wrote: »
    Now now... I can find a dozen or so people who would disagree with you. :D
    Twelve angry - and incredibly opinionated - men...