Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms» Discussion Time

Harry and Meghan cut ties, won't use HRH but will pay for Frogmore - Page 21

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Harry and Meghan cut ties, won't use HRH but will pay for Frogmore

edited 19 January 2020 at 10:03PM in Discussion Time
604 replies 9.6K views

Replies

• PollycatPollycat Forumite
    30.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Yet they loved Fergie, who is not well-loved on these shores. I find her quite uncouth.
    I object to your use of the word 'quite' when talking about the uncouth-ness of Sarah Ferguson. ;)
  • WillimSWillimS Forumite
    9.1K posts
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Yet they loved Fergie, who is not well-loved on these shores. I find her quite uncouth.

I hope she is one of the ones, along with her ex-husband and two daughters who are going to be part of the 'slimmed down' royal family, they should not receive a penny of tax payers money, they are quite able bodied to make their own living and financially support themselves.
  • SapphireSapphire Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't give a fig that Harry and his wife will be moving to Canada – and hope taxpayers don't have to subsidise them in any way.
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WillimS wrote: »
    I hope she is one of the ones, along with her ex-husband and two daughters who are going to be part of the 'slimmed down' royal family, they should not receive a penny of tax payers money, they are quite able bodied to make their own living and financially support themselves.
    She doesn't benefit, and her two daughters were said to be put out by being struck off the list by Charles ?last year.

The last of them is Randy Andy, and having stepped down last year what can he possibly be doing to earn his keep from public coffers?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • TallaghtTallaght Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Several designer brands including Givenchy have already approached Meghan.
  • gettingtheresometimegettingtheresometime Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tallaght wrote: »
    Several designer brands including Givenchy have already approached Meghan.

As have Real Wives of Beverly Hills.

I might be a little cynical but I'm guessing that Harry & Meghan have thought that they should get a slice of the profits that these companies make every time she wears x,y or z - I've always thought that clothes etc are given freely because the resultant sales & publicity must outweigh the cost of the item itself.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared :) thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
  • Terry_DactilTerry_Dactil Forumite
    733 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Point of Order: Canada is NOT America.

Canada is still part of the Commonwealth.
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Point of Order: Canada is NOT America.

Did anyone say it was?

Canada is a country. America is a continent. Canada is an American country. Canadians are North Americans.

Just as Britain is a European country and always will be.
  • Terry_DactilTerry_Dactil Forumite
    733 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Harry and Meghan's close confidante Tom Bradby claimed the Palace told the couple that there were plans for a 'slimmed down monarchy' and they 'weren't really a part of it.'

The ITV News presenter insisted that it was 'certainly not true' to suggest the royal household was 'blindsided' by their decision to step down from senior roles within the monarchy.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7873341/Queen-appears-public-time-Harry-Meghan-crisis.html

Now we know.
  • fudgecatfudgecat Forumite
    267 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I am reminded of the fuss when the Beatles split and the opprobrium which was poured on the head of Yoko Ono, who was an independent artist in her own right, freethinking, foreign and not white - also older. She was able to show an unhappy John Lennon that he could get off the wheel and do his own thing - he had the money and simply needed so see outside possibilities. Perhaps Meghan, an independent actress in her own right is providing a similar pathway for Harry?
    Personally I think they have been treated shabbily by the various media and that it has gone way beyond routine criticism with very uncomfortable over and under tones of racism and misogyny.
    Debt September 2020 BIG FAT ZERO!
    Now mortgage free, sort of retired, reducing and reusing and putting money away for grandchildren...