Dentist's band 1 and band 2

Options
Hi

I had a check up two weeks ago and the dentist told me I need to come back for a treatment (band 2). When I came back to reception on that day to make an appointment for treatment the receptionist told me I need to make a payment for band 1 now and then pay for band 2 for next appointment. I thought the band 2 would cover the check up I had two weeks ago?

I found this from NHS:
Band 2 dental treatment: £62.10
This can cover anything listed in band 1 above, plus any of the following...

Does it mean I shouldn't have paid for the band 1 two weeks ago?

Please correct me if otherwise!

Cheers,
Dean
You will only fail to learn if you do not learn from failing.

Save 2015 - #097 £600/£7000
CC Outstanding #1: £2544 02/2017 #2: £398 09/2015 #3: £363 08/2015

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Our dentist charges the Band 1 for the initial checkup, and then the difference between Band 1 & Band 2 on the return visit. They explained that they have to charge the Band 1 amount on the first visit as a number of people don't return for the follow-up. They now even make you pay the Band 1 before sitting in the chair as people would sneak out!
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    Band 1 and the fee for an emergency appointment (band 4) are exactly the same. So say you lost a filling and had an emergency appointment to put a temporary filling in youwould pay the equivalent of a band one payment then a band two when you had the permanent filling.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    brook2jack wrote: »
    Band 1 and the fee for an emergency appointment (band 4) are exactly the same. So say you lost a filling and had an emergency appointment to put a temporary filling in youwould pay the equivalent of a band one payment then a band two when you had the permanent filling.

Should it be the "balance" of band 2? Taking off the band 1 payment already made?
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • brook2jack
    Options
    No, if it was an emergency appointment that is a seperate fee , the same as band one , and the total band two fee will also be payable.
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    No, if it was an emergency appointment that is a seperate fee , the same as band one , and the total band two fee will also be payable.

What constitutes an emergency appointment?

I used my dentists "sit and wait" service for a temporary filling (broken tooth :(), and the paperwork notes Band 1 charge. I need to go back in January for a permanent filling.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • brook2jack
    Options
    That would fulfill the requirements for an emergency appointment .
    So you have been charged for an emergency appointment which is the same charge as a band one but is a seperate and distinct course of treatment , then you will have to pay for the full band two treatment.

Sit and wait appointments are not for routine appointments and the fact you had a broken tooth which needed a temporary filling puts it into the emergency band four treatment.
  • Sea_Shell
    edited 8 January 2020 at 4:07PM
    Options
    Just by way of an update...

I've been and had my permanent filling, with no additional charge made on top of the band 1 already paid for the "emergency".

No injection needed either, win win!

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    That sounds like a mistake has been made to me.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That would fulfill the requirements for an emergency appointment .
    So you have been charged for an emergency appointment which is the same charge as a band one but is a seperate and distinct course of treatment , then you will have to pay for the full band two treatment.

Sit and wait appointments are not for routine appointments and the fact you had a broken tooth which needed a temporary filling puts it into the emergency band four treatment.

So, are you saying that band 1 is only for your routine check ups, effectively? As you are implying that any other appointment would be classed as emergency.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    So, are you saying that band 1 is only for your routine check ups, effectively? As you are implying that any other appointment would be classed as emergency.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/dental-health/how-much-will-i-pay-for-nhs-dental-treatment/

Band 1: £22.70

Covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish, and planning for further treatment.

Emergency or urgent treatment

If you require urgent care, you'll pay a Band 1 charge of £22.70.

Most urgent treatments can be done in one appointment.

Once your urgent course of treatment is complete, you may be advised to make another appointment for a separate course of non-urgent treatment.

In this case, the relevant NHS banding charge will apply.

2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business