New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Boris 114

edited 13 June 2019 at 1:11PM in Discussion Time
169 replies 2.1K views

Replies

• That's the thing with this.

Its up to party members.

Then lies the question-is a GE required.

If Boris wins he is a divisive figure.
  • kabayirikabayiri Forumite
    22.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the thing with this.

Its up to party members.

Then lies the question-is a GE required.

If Boris wins he is a divisive figure.

I don't think May was a divisive figure when she was selected.

But she ended up dividing those who worked for her.

I'm not sure we can expect unity from anyone. It might be illusory.
  • BarryBlueBarryBlue Forumite
    4.2K posts
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    End result its up to the party members who wins out of the last two .
    I don't think the geriatrics who make up the Tory party rank and file will get any say at all in who wins the leadership. I'm convinced the Tory MPs don't want that lot deciding anything.

There will be deals and carve-ups done in the next week or two to leave one 'patsy' opponent against BoJo in the final run-off. After a bit of bickering for the benefit of the media, said patsy will then withdraw, having been promised a top cabinet job, thus leaving no ballot required. He gets the job with a coronation, not an election. All the card-carrying codgers outflanked again.

Deja vu, anyone?:o
    :dance:We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night:dance:
  • QuasarQuasar Forumite
    121.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    BarryBlue wrote: »
    I don't think the geriatrics who make up the Tory party rank and file will get any say at all in who wins the leadership. I'm convinced the Tory MPs don't want that lot deciding anything.

There will be deals and carve-ups done in the next week or two to leave one 'patsy' opponent against BoJo in the final run-off. After a bit of bickering for the benefit of the media, said patsy will then withdraw, having been promised a top cabinet job, thus leaving no ballot required. He gets the job with a coronation, not an election. All the card-carrying codgers outflanked again.

Deja vu, anyone?:o

Ah but that is democracy, innit, not like all those erm, unelected EU bureaucrats...

Oh...
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • edited 17 June 2019 at 8:57PM
    adindasadindas Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 June 2019 at 8:57PM
    I really want to see Bojo become the prime minister with Dominic Raab or David Davies become Brexit Minister.

It seems these people know how to negotiate, at least not like TM giving up all the power and begging.

Keep in mind
    'Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed'

So TM plan could still be scrapped altogether.

EU have been using Ireland as a pawn, Now it is time to turn it.

About Irish border. It is very simple with JRM solution put the problem back to the EU. Just stating clearly UK don't want a border / Barrier. With no - deal brexit if the EU want to erect a barrier, let them do that. The International community could see that EU who is causing the problem with irish border not the UK.

Ireland will be the country who will suffer the most as they are isolated and most of their import / export depend on the UK ports.

"About 85% of Ireland's total EU freight trade goes via British ports"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44657460

It is hard to believe how could Ireland replace their 85% of total EU freight with such a short period of time ?. So it is already a matter of survival for Ireland.

Ireland have the power to veto the EU final agreement. When the thing is about survival people will use everything they could to prevent that. For Ireland it is dead easy just veto the final agreement and disrupt the EU.
  • dividendherodividendhero Forumite
    2.4K posts
    adindas wrote: »
    I really want to see Bojo become the prime minister .

As do many other people, not that they think he's any good - purely to have a good laugh as he flounders
  • MasomniaMasomnia Forumite
    19.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quasar wrote: »
    Ah but that is democracy, innit, not like all those erm, unelected EU bureaucrats...

Oh...

Yes they're all elected MPs.

We keep being told that the President of the Commission is 'democratically elected' because they're chosen by the MEPs. Well we've voted for our MEPs so who's head of the Commission?
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really want to see Bojo become the prime minister with Dominic Raab or David Davies become Brexit Minister.

It seems these people know how to negotiate, at least not like TM giving up all the power and begging.

I don't think so.

Davis was complacent and lazy, hardly turning up for any of the first few meetings, and reckoned he could finesse things by leaving most of it until nearly the end, and endlessly saying things like what BMW would want.

Raab was seen by the EU as giving false public statements how things were going, and working against his Prime Minister. So arguably he has plenty of responsibility for us having the current mess of somewhere between a bad deal and no deal at the moment. His resignation wasn't a matter of principle; May should have booted him earlier for duplicity and dereliction of duty in public office.
  • SapphireSapphire Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭

So TM plan could still be scrapped altogether.

EU have been using Ireland as a pawn, Now it is time to turn it.About Irish border. It is very simple with JRM solution put the problem back to the EU. Just stating clearly UK don't want a border / Barrier. With no - deal brexit if the EU want to erect a barrier, let them do that. The International community could see that EU who is causing the problem with irish border not the UK.

I agree – and Boris is good at putting a strong team behind him. I've always liked David Davis (he faced such a frustrating task under TM), and Dominic Raab seems good for the job too.

Teamwork was one thing Teresa May was unable to do well. She insisted on tackling everything herself, whereas much should have been delegated, leaving her more time to focus on other matters that need attention. I don't know for sure, but I don't feel she consulted her colleagues on all that much. She was also utterly unable to connect with the public, though much of it was initially ready to accept her – a big failing in a politician. I don't like cant and spin of the like issued by Bliar and Campbell, but at the same time the populace should not be given the impression that it is being ignored.
  • edited 18 June 2019 at 11:44AM
    andrewf75andrewf75 Forumite
    10.4K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 June 2019 at 11:44AM
    About Irish border. It is very simple with JRM solution put the problem back to the EU. Just stating clearly UK don't want a border / Barrier. With no - deal brexit if the EU want to erect a barrier, let them do that. The International community could see that EU who is causing the problem with irish border not the UK.

The international community (Trump excepted) are almost certainly going to see the situation as the UK causing the problem! The UK is the one which has clearly chosen the path that requires a border of sorts.

Sounds like you want us to use Ireland as a pawn. Ireland does have a lot to lose, but they are not budging on their position. They have been bullied by the UK before.