New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Boris 114

edited 13 June 2019 at 1:11PM in Discussion Time
169 replies 2.1K views

Replies

• adindasadindas Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    But "understanding" would require consciousness, otherwise there is nothing to do the understanding.

Are you really saying that machines understand words? I can't believe anybody "literate about technology" would suggest that. I think the best they'd be able to say is that given certain verbal prompts, some machines will react in certain ways.

Do you know of any examples of this understanding? I try to learn something new from MSE every day, and so far, this week has been very educational and I'd like to continue it.

EDIT: understanding is a mental phenomenon, not a mechanical one

Argue with people in machine learning. Rather than using pointless semantic,
    This is just one example.

How machines understand our language

https://towardsdatascience.com/how-machines-understand-our-language-an-introduction-to-natural-language-processing-4ab4bcd47d05
  • melburymelbury Forumite
    13.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frenchlop wrote: »

I think that is pretty much what anyone would expect from The Guardian;)
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• melburymelbury Forumite
    13.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well out of the three London Mayors we have had so far, Boris was by far the best.

For goodness sake give him a chance - we just might get to Brexit with him in charge:)
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    adindas wrote: »
    Argue with people in machine learning. Rather than using pointless semantic,
    This is just one example.

How machines understand our language

https://towardsdatascience.com/how-machines-understand-our-language-an-introduction-to-natural-language-processing-4ab4bcd47d05

Are there any better examples? That just seems to me to be producing some kind of output which is predetermined by some sort of program or script. So long as that is written correctly, you'll get a particular output. It's not by any stretch of the imagination "understanding" in any meaningful way, despite what the author asserts. It's no different from a pupil learning some facts or a formula by rote, but not having any idea what it means or how to apply it.

If you want to talk about understanding, it's not possible to do so without semantics, otherwise it could mean whatever you want it to mean (as in this case!).
  • foxtrotoscar_2foxtrotoscar_2
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    adindas wrote: »
    Which goal is moving ??

Which one fail. You have not produced any single counter argument, link, fact.

You divert the issue by commenting other people language.
    Just to remind you the most intelligent people on earth are recognised by their ability to comprehend with minimum information? Intelligent People could communicate with machines who only understand a few words.

'You edit your posts multiple tines to suit your agenda. Read the above and tell me it's not gibberish? No links either?
  • edited 14 June 2019 at 8:00PM
    CARRYONFILM12CARRYONFILM12
    2.4K posts
    edited 14 June 2019 at 8:00PM
    .string. wrote: »
    Incidentally, I'd have a lot more respect for the integrity of MPs if they cancelled their summer recess and got stuck in to finish some of their urgent Brexit-related work. The Tories, for example, would cut a week or three off their timetable for choosing a new leader so that they can get stuck into this Brexit Boil which needs lancing, one way or the other.
    Not part of their plan.

But I agree with you on time wasting.
  • SpidernickSpidernick Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread, so am not sure if the title pertains to Johnson's IQ, the odds to one of him remaining faithful to his partner for more than a week, or the number of f*ck ups he has made in the past year! ;)
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • adindasadindas Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    'You edit your posts multiple tines to suit your agenda. Read the above and tell me it's not gibberish? No links either?

[FONT=&quot]Initially you were referring to this: Page 4 Post #73[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6013184&page=4[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It was last edited in 2:42 PM. yesterday[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Since then you have written multiple replies. You have been asked multiple times which one is gibberish?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The argument, fact, link is provided in Post #73 & #80. You have not provided any.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]All you have done are commenting people language as compensation. When you were asked how many languages do you speak? You shy away to provide the answer.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You have also been pointed out that intelligent people on are recognised by their ability to comprehend take the right conclusion with minimum information? Intelligent [/FONT]People could [FONT=&quot]communicate with machines who only understand a few words.[/FONT]
  • onlyrozonlyroz Forumite
    17.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    melbury wrote: »
    Well out of the three London Mayors we have had so far, Boris was by far the best.

For goodness sake give him a chance - we just might get to Brexit with him in charge:)
    :rotfl: So name me his biggest achievements as mayor? Was it the water cannons? Or perhaps the Garden Bridge? Or maybe the Boris Bikes, an idea he stole from Ken Livingston?
  • melbury wrote: »

That's debatable, but being London Mayor isn't particularly difficult - it's largely a question of what goodies to buy using the money being spoon fed to London from the National Government.

I wonder how Johnson would do as Mayor of say Barnsley, where the national government are bleeding the place dry? Can you imagine Mayor of Barnsley getting away with chucking £50m on a non existent bridge?