Email Address shared by MSE?

New Post Advanced Search

Email Address shared by MSE?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in MSE Labs
3 replies 175 views
WombatWombat Forumite
953 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in MSE Labs
OK - so I signed the petition to help debt suicide as requested in the latest MSE email.

Since I did I've been inundated with spam emails. It's the only place I've shared my email address recently, so is MSE sharing email addresses?

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    15.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well i get multiple Spam emails and have never signed this petition .
    Dont MSE have your email anyway for joining etc .

Would be worth putting your email address is the Haveibeenpwnd web site to see if its one of the millions of highjacked emails.
  • ShavuotShavuot Forumite
    125 posts
    Wombat wrote: »
    OK - so I signed the petition to help debt suicide as requested in the latest MSE email.

Since I did I've been inundated with spam emails. It's the only place I've shared my email address recently, so is MSE sharing email addresses?

If you provided your email address when signing that petition, you were not providing it to MSE but to the 32rd party site MSE were referring you to i.e. The Money and Mental Health Policy Institute.

The Money and Mental Health Policy Institute further goes on to explain that they share your information with other providers including MailChimp, Google and Platform One
    ...but no mention of MSE

However, as mentioned above, you will have provided MSE with your email when you signed up to this site, which I see was way back in 2003.

So if the spam has only just started, I doubt it was due to MSE sharing your details.
    ... but as the above MSE poster is also being spammed, perhaps there has been some kind of security breach? :eek:

Having said that, I can confirm I am not receiving any spam at the email address I used to sign up with MSE.
  • edited 24 May at 6:01PM
    binaobinao Forumite
    88 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    edited 24 May at 6:01PM
    Wombat said:

I can trace / back track any scam / spam using my e-mail address to how they obtained it. 

1 Open a main gmail  address.
    2 When you share it, before the "gmail.com" add a "+"

3 Between the "+" and "gmail"  add  xxxxxxx  e.g.  bg, Ba, BBC, eon to identify who you are sharing your e-mail address with.
    4 That's it, all addresses automatically go to your main e-mail box.

Don't forget to include the complete address,  with " +xxxxx " if you use your email address to sign in etc.  

QED
    Thanks 
    Stay safe everyone everywhere  :)