Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms» Funny Money

Strange Things Motorists Do In Cheap Gas Stations - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Strange Things Motorists Do In Cheap Gas Stations

edited 23 February 2019 at 6:15PM in Funny Money
50 replies 8.2K views

Replies

• toomsietoomsie Forumite
    152 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    comeandgo wrote: »
    How do you know the tanks are just half full when they leave? Maybe they were half full when customers arrived at petrol station and they have just topped it up? Also if I have a hire car and it has to go back empty I'm not going to fill it if I don't need to. I have gone into petrol station and just put £8 in.

Thinking about it, you could be right. The tank could already be full of petrol. But almost everyone has a half-full tank.
    152 posts
    Anyone else seriously irritated by the "gas" part of this.

In the UK they are petrol stations, I hope and pray they will never turn into "gas" stations, unless of course we convert all the cars fuel systems to hydrogen!

Petrol. I did know that. Who thinks about country-specific language even in writing.
    152 posts
    ceredigion wrote: »
    Yes, and by the term " station wagon".

That, I didn't know.
  • Enterprise_1701CEnterprise_1701C Forumite
    23.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, are you American toomsie?

Station wagon? That is an estate car.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Mr.GenerousMr.Generous Forumite
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you considered the weight of the fuel? If you just did a few miles a week why would you want to carry a 50 - 60 kg load around? If you had to drive to get fuel it would probably negate any saving, but in a town or city with fuel readily available probably not a bad idea.

When I worked further from home I used to fill my tank, now I just stick £40 and it lasts about 3 - 4 weeks.

I do wonder when someone puts £10 in a big SUV or something, I do think they either have no spare cash or have come out without their wallet. (Everyone keeps an emergency £10 in the car obviously!!)
    152 posts
    Have you considered the weight of the fuel? If you just did a few miles a week why would you want to carry a 50 - 60 kg load around?

I did a little research on this. The time lost filling up gas isn't worth any financial gain( if I remember was around 30p). Even on minimum wage.
    152 posts
    So, are you American toomsie?

Station wagon? That is an estate car.

Yes. Michigan

The first car I bought in London was a Landrover from AutoTrader. I typed station wagon into the search and a whole lot of cars turned up.
  • duncanthedogduncanthedog Forumite
    3.7K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    My dad/owner fills the tank every 600 miles or so and it usually lasts about 3 months.
  • edited 26 February 2019 at 9:16AM
    Enterprise_1701CEnterprise_1701C Forumite
    23.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2019 at 9:16AM
    toomsie wrote: »
    Yes. Michigan

The first car I bought in London was a Landrover from AutoTrader. I typed station wagon into the search and a whole lot of cars turned up.

I always thought Autotrader was American based? At least by the name - Autotrader.

So it would naturally have search protocols that covered American phrases.

Nice to see you using the British word "cars" though :)
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I only fill up when close to empty and if I know I am about to embark on a long journey that will use it.

There's nothing more boring than standing there waiting for it to fill up. If I only need £10 or £20 today to get me where I want to be for the next day, week, month, whatever, why fill it up?

It also reduces the mpg to carry a full tank around. Also, I'd be VERY annoyed if I spent £50-70 to fill it up and it broke down later that day.

I put some in, then, begrudgingly, go in and put more in when I fear I'm about to run out.

Some others like to keep it full, or need to due to their weekly mileage. Others need to fill it up, even if it's just a few quid, as they're "returning a car", whether that's a courtesy car, friend/family car, or hire car.