Going, going...still going!

edited 29 November 2019 at 8:03PM in Debt Free Diaries
973 replies 71.1K views

Replies

• BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    709 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the recipe link - I have saved that.  Looks delish.
    We have our own PD.  He doesnt really dip paws in anything more goes straight in with his mouth!.  I was meant to be ironing but he has commanded the ironing board as a posing station so what am I to do but leave the ironing?!
    That is absolutely your only course of action :lol: 
    PD lived up to her reputation and got a sneaky paw in the dregs of my hot chocolate earlier - luckily only flicked it against the kitchen splashback, and then settled down for a long licking session. It's a good job she's pretty...
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 Debt at Nov 2019: £0
    A perpetual work in progress.
  • moving_forwardmoving_forward Forumite
    350 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭

PD lived up to her reputation and got a sneaky paw in the dregs of my hot chocolate earlier - luckily only flicked it against the kitchen splashback, and then settled down for a long licking session. It's a good job she's pretty...
    Yes the cuteness does let them get away with Murder doesn't it.  We also have a dog but as shes getting on shes no where near as much trouble!
    Grocery Budget -Blown Mar, Apr, May most of Jun to date.  This needs attention!  :#
    Personal stretch target - Get an emergency fund of £500 -£47.20 at 01/07/20

• Hope you're all safe and sound after today's shenanigans! Flurries of snow, sleet, rain and a little bit of sunshine here today. Currently sleeting, but it's burling about, so PD is throwing herself at her favourite window to catch the flakes. Bit worried she might cause herself an injury - I might do some rearranging of the curtains so she can't see out :lol:

I don't mind snow (although not fond of how a 40 min commute turned into 1 hr 20 mins) - it's just the slush that's lethal, so fingers crossed it doesn't freeze. I was quite tempted to see if I could wrangle working from home today, but was told before I could even ask that I. Had. To. Be. In. The. Office. Told by whom? Oh, yes, by my line manager, who was, entirely coincidentally, working from home today :weary: I rolled my eyes so hard, I almost saw my tonsils. 

Anyway! This is a very tough budget month, so trying to keep the NSDs up. PD needs some food bought this week, but apart from that and some ground coffee for me, I think we're set. I've been reusing my paper coffee filters, but I am going to keep an eye out for a decent reusable material one (metal ones are no good). I'm also trying to avoid Amaz0n at all costs (haven't bought anything from there in months), so we'll see what I can do without it ;) 

350 posts
    ✭✭
    Anyway! This is a very tough budget month, so trying to keep the NSDs up. PD needs some food bought this week, but apart from that and some ground coffee for me, I think we're set. I've been reusing my paper coffee filters, but I am going to keep an eye out for a decent reusable material one (metal ones are no good). I'm also trying to avoid Amaz0n at all costs (haven't bought anything from there in months), so we'll see what I can do without it ;) 

We do buy from that online jungle quite a bit but I console myself that part of my works pension fund is invested in them so really I'm helping out future me :wink:
    I use a mini cafetiere daily which has saved loads on my morning coffee I used to keep buying on way to work.  At work as im a coffee snob I use decaff coffee bags which still is cheaper than buying takeaway coffee.  I considered taking a cafetiere into work but would be a right faff cleaning it out.  At home we tip the dregs into a fine mesh sieve and then tap them into the compost caddy (or bin if Mr M_F thinks i'm not looking)

Grocery Budget -Blown Mar, Apr, May most of Jun to date.  This needs attention!  :#

• girlatplaygirlatplay Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was quite tempted to see if I could wrangle working from home today, but was told before I could even ask that I. Had. To. Be. In. The. Office. Told by whom? Oh, yes, by my line manager, who was, entirely coincidentally, working from home today :weary: I rolled my eyes so hard, I almost saw my tonsils. 
    If it weren't for the fact that my line manager was in the office today then I would have been wondering if yours and mine were the same person.  Mine is okay for the most part but there are little things. Little things.
    Loan (£7,500) current balance: £2,990 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/03/2023
    IO Mortgage current balance: £87,250
  • Anyway! This is a very tough budget month, so trying to keep the NSDs up. PD needs some food bought this week, but apart from that and some ground coffee for me, I think we're set. I've been reusing my paper coffee filters, but I am going to keep an eye out for a decent reusable material one (metal ones are no good). I'm also trying to avoid Amaz0n at all costs (haven't bought anything from there in months), so we'll see what I can do without it ;) 

We do buy from that online jungle quite a bit but I console myself that part of my works pension fund is invested in them so really I'm helping out future me :wink:
    I use a mini cafetiere daily which has saved loads on my morning coffee I used to keep buying on way to work.  At work as im a coffee snob I use decaff coffee bags which still is cheaper than buying takeaway coffee.  I considered taking a cafetiere into work but would be a right faff cleaning it out.  At home we tip the dregs into a fine mesh sieve and then tap them into the compost caddy (or bin if Mr M_F thinks i'm not looking)

My cafetiere is a massive one, so I only use with when I have company - I should just make enough for my morning mug in it though. I have a little V60 pour-over that the coffee filters sit in - it's the most reliable way I've found of making my coffee how I like it. If I tip out the grounds and let it dry, I can usually get an extra use out of a paper filter, but it's still quite wasteful. Definitely less wasteful than a takeaway coffee though, and far cheaper! As much as I love it, I only really drink it at home, or for a treat when I'm out. The stuff at work is horrible, and there's always sugar crystals in it, because my co-workers were never houstrained, apparently :neutral::tongue:

I was quite tempted to see if I could wrangle working from home today, but was told before I could even ask that I. Had. To. Be. In. The. Office. Told by whom? Oh, yes, by my line manager, who was, entirely coincidentally, working from home today :weary: I rolled my eyes so hard, I almost saw my tonsils. 
    If it weren't for the fact that my line manager was in the office today then I would have been wondering if yours and mine were the same person.  Mine is okay for the most part but there are little things. Little things.
    I hope yours is better behaved than mine is ;) I sometimes think PD would do a more complete job :lol:
  • edited 12 February 2020 at 8:42PM
    BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    709 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 12 February 2020 at 8:42PM
    Jeezo it's cold! I'm very glad I made a curry last night, it was very welcoming to come home to. PD was less so, mostly because the heating wasn't on :wink: 

Word on the street is that the Council Tax increase is getting decided this week, but I'm not sure how reliable that is - there is a budget meeting, but I don't think they announce the figure at that meeting. It's rumoured to be 4.8% increase - I think that works out about £8 a month more. :neutral:  I'm so lucky my landlord isn't going to increase my rent and isn't being woo-ed by AirBnBing it instead, but I am worried about the future, especially doing it alone. 

In saying that, I did fall mildly in love with a recruiter who called me earlier today, so maybe all hope is not lost :tongue: Also, being DF does give me a bit of comfort, as one less payment to worry about :smile: 

• edited 14 February 2020 at 8:17PM
    BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    709 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 14 February 2020 at 8:17PM
    Much  ❤️ to you all, from me 😍... and PD 😻 😆
    Although, there's not much love today - PD has just thrown up a hairball 🤢and I've spilt some wine. Story of my week!
    Still, I have some unspilt wine, crisps, and some boxsets to work through on N0wTV, which is currently costing me the princely sum of £1.60 a month (until next month, when I'll properly cancel it 😉), a sofa, a small furry feline, and a blanket. What more could you wish for? 🥳

350 posts
    ✭✭
    Much  ❤️ to you all, from me 😍... and PD 😻 😆
    Although, there's not much love today - PD has just thrown up a hairball 🤢and I've spilt some wine. Story of my week!
    Still, I have some unspilt wine, crisps, and some boxsets to work through on N0wTV, which is currently costing me the princely sum of £1.60 a month (until next month, when I'll properly cancel it 😉), a sofa, a small furry feline, and a blanket. What more could you wish for? 🥳

A dog and some chocolate xx Happy Valentines BCNS and PD xx😻😍

• I would love a dog, but I think PD would probably protest ;) Lifestyle not overly conducive either...but one day!  You can keep the chocolate though, I'm not a huge fan :neutral:  Doritos on the other hand.... :lol: