» »

Going, going...still going! - Page 70

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Going, going...still going!

edited 29 November 2019 at 9:03PM in Debt Free Diaries
843 replies 59.7K views

Replies

• enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Board Guide
    10.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not move money into savings at the beginning or middle of the month?
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected]
  • BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    630 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Yes, that would make sense ES - it’s more keeping enough grocery/cleaning supplies money in my account (although I always know how much I have available via YNAB). I really don’t want to shuffle money back and forth throughout the month as I’ve avoided that so far - I think it’s just a psychological hump to get over, it will settle down :)
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 :doh: Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 :o Debt at Nov 2019: £0 :D
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, have you had it cut? Suits you.
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Board Guide
    10.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People approach savings in different ways. Some save what money is left over and others, myself included treat savings as a bill and it goes out with the rest by standing order. Depends on what works for you but if you think you will fritter the spare £320 you now have (I don't think you would especially if you use YNAB) then it might be best to move some of it out your main current account.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected]
    630 posts
    ✭✭
    DD now set up for the savings to come out near the start of the month - still a bit concerned that I'll fritter my day-to-day spends, but I have to trust in the habits I've built up over the last two years.
    Also, I'm ridiculously proud of my shiny badge that the MSE badger bestowed today :j I thought it would take longer to happen. I've tried showing PD but she just licked the laptop screen at the spot I was pointing at :p :rotfl:

Masterchef and a mince pie awaits ;) I'm so in need of an early night, so will take myself off once that's over, and will probably be asleep by 9.15pm!
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 :doh: Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 :o Debt at Nov 2019: £0 :D
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, have you had it cut? Suits you.
  • Honeysucklelou2Honeysucklelou2 Forumite
    2.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    A huge well done on a fantastic achievement. :).
    paydbx2020 #93 £470.42/£10,025 . 1 debt 100 days 34. £82/£995
    EF £130. SPC 141

# savings# £5 . Oven. £4/ £403 Health EF 0/£250
  • PentaclePentacle Forumite
    17 posts
    10 Posts
    Lovely shiny debt free badge! :j I have badge envy.
    630 posts
    ✭✭
    Thank you both :) Pentacle, you must be getting close to your DFD too?

Today was not a NSD - spotted a really cosy jumper in a charity shop (mens section always have the best bargains) so that was £4. It was originally from M&S and it's been looked after, so was happy to pay that. Got all my Christmas shopping done too for the few people I buy for, and within budget, so that's another job done.

This evening, it's me and PD on the sofa (although she's rolled off it in her sleep once already :o), listening to the wind outside, with a candle lit and a good book. I've sent a mug of peppermint tea flying across the floor already today, so not planning on going far, in case I cause any more havoc :p
  • mark88manmark88man Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    well done BCNS - I've been missing in action for the last fortnight for a variety of reasons, so I feel terrible for being so belated in my congrats for a fabulous achievement. Still I'm sure you are still buzzing.

you can do what you want with your dairy, as long as you let us know we will all follow you in the next stage of your journey. DIA had a change of thread when she made her new plans for the year and pretty much everyone moved over with her - like drawing a line but keeping all your subscribers

do keep the CC for a few months as a safety measure, but freeze it in a block of ice (shouldn't be too hard where you live!!) to avoid its sirec call. Maybe spend some time thinking of a small treat for yourself when your next payday comes in , which is special enough that it ticks the box - I find if you don;t do that you end up treating yourself with a greater number of smaller treats.
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - 1/1/2020 - 121kg : 28/3/2020 - 109Kg
    End 19: CC:[email protected]% - Car Loan:[email protected]% - Mort:[email protected]% = £140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K
  • edited 9 December 2019 at 4:07PM
    girlatplaygirlatplay Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 December 2019 at 4:07PM
    mark88man wrote: »
    do keep the CC for a few months as a safety measure, but freeze it in a block of ice (shouldn't be too hard where you live!!)

:rotfl: :rotfl: this is so true mark. BlackCoffee just put it outside on your windowsill for half an hour, you'll be trying to get into it for months! :snow_laug (It's too cold for snow here).
    Loan (£7,500) current balance: £5,224.00 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/06/2023
    IO Mortgage current balance: £87,490
    630 posts
    ✭✭
    :rotfl: perfect CC management technique! It is chuffing freezing, isn't it... At least it was dry today, think it's to be wet (again) tomorrow, but we might get temps in double figures. Practically tropical :p

On the plus side, it doesn't make me want to go anywhere or do anything, so it's been work and nothing else today. NSD and budget still on track as a result ;)

Currently having a little LBM about the herbal tea I've been drinking - there's one that drives PD mad, she will roll about on the dry tea bags, dip as many paws in it as she can etc. Just watched Food Unwrapped and I've realised it has valerian in it, which is probably why she's attracted to it. I thought she was just odd :o :rotfl:

Everything else is just chugging along - just got to keep on track :)