Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

Going, going...still going! - Page 14

New Post Advanced Search

Going, going...still going!

edited 29 November 2019 at 9:03PM in Debt Free Diaries
895 replies 63.7K views

Replies

• Let me know if you like it! It's quite a challenge trying new recipes when you're on a budget - once you commit to making it, it's a chunk out of your budget if it turns out to be rubbish! In saying that, I do cook a lot from Jack Monroe's website, which is low-risk for budgets and turns up some real gems - mushroom and spinach spag bol was a revelation :)

Today should be a NSD - meeting someone for coffee, but still have more than enough on my giftcard to cover it, so will be grand. Need to check my points but I think my next coffee after that will be free, so I may try something more expensive on that one to make it worth it! [STRIKE]but will probably stay loyal to my beloved black filter coffee[/STRIKE]

I've also been invited out for dinner with a group of people next week - my budget just won't stretch that far this month, but I've said I'll meet them for a drink afterwards and everyone's happy with that. :cool: I didn't say it was out of my budget, as I didn't want to make a deal out of it, or make anyone feel they should offer to chip in for me - just said that I couldn't make it, and would meet them afterwards. I'm not a huge fan of the restaurant they are going to anyway, so it makes sense to save my pennies for somewhere I'll enjoy :D
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 Debt at Nov 2019: £0 :)
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, even if it's a little longer. Suits you.
  • Yesterday was indeed a NSD :)

Not quite the same today - just a smidge under £17 in Ald1e, but should see me out the week. Budget is all looking good on YNAB at the moment. Not much left, but not much to come out either - final 2 DDs are due in the next couple of days and then just riding it out to payday next week :D

PD and I are enjoying a night on the sofa - contemplating some knitting, but small paws are threatening to cause mischief ;)
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, even if it's a little longer. Suits you.
  • NSD today :)

Doing some knitting again - small paws did not cause mischief last night (PD fell asleep and snored :p) but I still made a mess of it without any help....my ribbed scarf has ribs going in two different directions :rotfl:
    I have frogged it back so it's only going in one direction now and (fingers crossed) it should be fine now.

Not much else to report - as yesterday, it's a slow part of the month now, just chugging on until payday :)
  • I'm on another NSD today :) Really pleased how good it feels to rack them up so regularly. Budget still on track though my tilly tidies have fallen by the wayside a little, so I should get back into the way of them. It would be nice to clear off another £14 to get me down to an even £3500 on the CC - that's my aim for the next couple of weeks. ;)

Tonight's 'adventures' are yet to be decided - but I've got a hankering to put pen to paper, so might do some sketching. I'm very bad and very rusty, but it's so enjoyable once I get going :D
  • Ooooh, 3 NSDs in a row *twirls*

Really would like to add a 4th to my streak, but it always seems trickier to stick to on a Friday :p We'll see how I get on. It's difficult to break the mindset of 'I deserve a wee treat' at the end of the week - I think I've mused on this before, but I will make a list of free (or v cheap) things I can do to treat myself.

Finished my scarf but it's not great, so I'm starting another... and attempting to tweak the pattern myself :o I've got loads of yarn in my stash, so on the upside, it's not costing me anything at all. Just have to watch I don't get distracted by Masterchef :rotfl:
  • ...and it was all going so well! :(

Rough day today - didn't get out of work until nearly 7, and came home to a letter from HMRC, saying I owe £109 from last year. :eek: I did get a letter some point last year about it, saying that they would take it out of my salary (which happened to me a few years ago - it was a tiny amount each month, so I never really noticed it coming out). So I thought it was all taken care of. However, looking back on this years payslips, I can see that hasn't happened - I switched jobs several times last year (short term contracts) and for 4 months was on a high salary (for me) and I think HMRC were always a few steps behind.

Really annoyed with myself for not realising. You know what they say about when you assume...it makes an @ss out of you and me!

It's not the end of the world, my emergency fund has taken a beating, but that's what it's there for, I suppose. At least it didn't go on my credit card. Tomorrow is another day.
  • mark88manmark88man Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    well that's a real shame

although any dispute with the revenue that ends up with a resolution only just in the hundreds is OK in my book
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - 1/1/2020 - 121kg : 27/06/2020 - 107Kg - Last month +1kg
    12/19: CC:[email protected]% - Car:[email protected]% - Mort:[email protected]% = £140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K 2020 (YTD): -£15K
  • Thanks Mark - you are right (as always!), it could be far worse! Fairly insignificant in the grand scale of things [strike]as are most of my annoyances[/strike] - tonight it has knocked the wind out of my sails a bit, but I'll have shaken it off my this time tomorrow :) Tis what it is!
  • mark88manmark88man Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    oops- didn't mean to plonk on your diary - always annoying when something turns up and sets you back. Its a toss up isnt it when commenting, between trying to focus on a setback not being the end of the world and sympathy for someone who's had a bad day!! sorry if I did the wrong one :-)
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - 1/1/2020 - 121kg : 27/06/2020 - 107Kg - Last month +1kg
    12/19: CC:[email protected]% - Car:[email protected]% - Mort:[email protected]% = £140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K 2020 (YTD): -£15K
  • No, no, not at all! I always think you strike a good balance, and it's very helpful to be reminded that the sky is not falling in, and indeed will be there to fight another day :)