We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

what's the traditional thing to serve with dhal?

2»

Comments

  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,626
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thanks Pollycat

    My recipe is

    1 cup/150g/250ml plain flour
    1/2 cup (just over)/150g Greek Yoghurt.
    2 tbs olive oil
    Pinch of salt

    Basically 2-1 four and plain Greek yoghurt, plus a splash of olive oil and a large pinch of salt - whatever quantity you make.

    Pop the four on a clean work surface, add the yoghurt, oil and salt, work together till you have a lovely pliant dough - doesn't take long, but make sure you do this when you are not expecting a call, or the postman :D

    Wrap dough in clingfilm, or into a sealed box in fridge for 20 mins to rest.

    When ready, cut the dough into 6 portions-heat a frying pan till fairly hot, roll the dough balls out (using a little more flour if necessary) and pop each onto the hot frying pan (dry frying) for a couple of minutes each side, they should 'bubble' and blister - repeat till dough is cooked

    58_A38_F6_B-_E89_C-4_AE6-_B57_A-3_C3_B9644927_C.jpg

    I make a few batches at a time, as they freeze well, and are a quick 'grab' when you need them
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

    £300/£130
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,899
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I often eat my Dahl with hard boiled eggs and spinach.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Thank you Pollycat and Islandmaid! :)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    if I don't have any kind of flat bread, Im in there with a spoon :)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    suki1964 wrote: »
    if I don't have any kind of flat bread, Im in there with a spoon :)
    Agreed, I'm happy to have a bowl unadorned.

    Having said that, I am interested in trying the flatbread. Jamie Oliver made something v similar in his latest episode and it looked easy. It had never occurred to me to use SR flour to make a bread product.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

    "No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

    Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Agreed, I'm happy to have a bowl unadorned.

    Having said that, I am interested in trying the flatbread. Jamie Oliver made something v similar in his latest episode and it looked easy. It had never occurred to me to use SR flour to make a bread product.


    There’s a million flat bread recipes out there but the basic is any flour and any liquid
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,718
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thank you Pollycat and Islandmaid :) I made the dahl and flatbread for dinner this evening and served it with some salad leves from the garden. it was very tasty and economical.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.