We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Loan overpayments - help I'm numerically challenged!
I am new to posting so please advise me if this is on another thread!
I have a £3000 loan with Natwest that I took out 6 months ago for 3 years. I'm not sure how much the interest rate is (I know terrible) but the total payable was £3604.35 and I am paying 101.08 per month.
Natwest have told me that I can make overpayments but that I would be charged two months interest as a fee.
The problem is due to an inability to do maths I have no idea how much I should overpay by and I don't know how much two months interest is as it changes every month.
Does anyone have any kind of calculator; or are they able to give me a figure? By my reasoning if I can't afford to overpay by enough to cover the fee I would be better off putting the money in a high interest account until I can afford to pay the balance?
Can anyone help!?!
I have a £3000 loan with Natwest that I took out 6 months ago for 3 years. I'm not sure how much the interest rate is (I know terrible) but the total payable was £3604.35 and I am paying 101.08 per month.
Natwest have told me that I can make overpayments but that I would be charged two months interest as a fee.
The problem is due to an inability to do maths I have no idea how much I should overpay by and I don't know how much two months interest is as it changes every month.
Does anyone have any kind of calculator; or are they able to give me a figure? By my reasoning if I can't afford to overpay by enough to cover the fee I would be better off putting the money in a high interest account until I can afford to pay the balance?
Can anyone help!?!
Debt free by Dec 2011 
#178 Pay as as much as you can in 2011 £2305.80/£7489.27
#178 Pay as as much as you can in 2011 £2305.80/£7489.27
#114 Crazy clothes challenge £60/£60
#1369 Sealed pot challenge 4 £9.72
#139 Virtual sealed pot challenge £15.50
#1369 Sealed pot challenge 4 £9.72
#139 Virtual sealed pot challenge £15.50
0
Comments
-
Firstly I'ld check with your T&Cs exactly what they say about overpayments. Sadly you can't rely on the call centre staff getting it correct.
You're probably paying about 15% on the loan and after 6 months the interest will be about £30 per month. You would need to pay at least £250 before you would save over all. So unless you have a substantial sum available its probably best to save the money in a high interest savings account until you can settle the debt in full or have simply paid it off.EU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards