julicorn Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    beanielou said:
    Positive vibes to Simon!
    Karmacat said:
    Simon  <3<3<3
    Oh Simon, you can do it! 😍
    Thank you for all your well-wishes - he's in much better shape already, still smells a little alcoholic but is happily bubbling away, so I'll try and bake some bread on the weekend I think :)
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • julicorn
    Options
    Hi Julicorn! Well done on the 10 Years ahead! That is the sort of achievement to be proud of! Can I ask how you calculate time knocked off the mortgage? I seem to struggle to work it out lol!
    Thank you! Do you have your own overpayment spreadsheet? I can share my formula with you if you like :)
  • julicorn
    Options
    Because it's the new year, we were finally allowed to overpay our mortgage again properly... And we had enough saved up to OP 10% of the outstanding balance in one go, yay! That was exactly £12,821.35, leaving our current balance at just under £115,500 :) That means no further overpayments again until September, which is when our current fix runs out. Back to just saving in premium bonds, which (after 2 months with no wins) paid out £100 this month! It's been a good start to the year, in other words. :D 

I'd also like to report back that Simon has recovered beautifully, he clearly felt all of your positive energy <3 We made some amazing sourdough pizzas on Friday, which were SO GOOD, genuinely some of the tastiest pizzas we have ever eaten. It's so good that it should easily replace our usual Friday night take-out pizza, so that's another moneysaving win. Here's a photo:

We baked bread this morning too which was also lovely, albeit a bit dense because heavily improvised, haha! We went out and bought like 8 different types of flour, so will be able to properly follow recipes over the next few weeks, and I'll share the results here as well if anyone's interested <3

Either way, have a fabulous weekend everyone :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,506 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Great news on the OP  :)
    Pizza looks blooming good  :smiley:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • FtbDreaming
    FtbDreaming Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That would be great if you could share your spreadsheet formula @julicorn I have the most basic spreadsheet abilities I can do x - y = z and that’s about it lol xx
    Mortgage started August 2020 £69,700
    Mortgage ends Aug 2050 MFW: Aug 2027 
    Current Balance: £60,200 (59.9% LTV)
    MFW2020 #156 £723.13
    MFW2021 #26 £1184.71
    MFW2022 #11 £197.87
    MFW2023 £785
    MFW 2024 £528.15

Determined to make it! 
  • julicorn
    Options
    beanielou said:
    Great news on the OP  :)
    Pizza looks blooming good  :smiley:
    Thanks so much beanie, it was honestly super tasty <3
  • julicorn
    Options
    @FtbDreaming I dug out a post where I've shared my formula before, and the 'set-up' needed for it. You might need to add or shuffle around a few things in your spreadsheet to make it work, but here it is. Also, let me know if you need any help, I'm happy to help edit your sheet as well if you run into issues - I know it's a little fiddly, but a really fun stat to have :)

julicorn said:
    Thank you both! :heart2:
    BVic28 wrote: »
    Hi Julicorn, I found your diary yesterday and have just binge read it. You’re doing amazingly, around £50k paid off in under 2 years is phenomenal!! I’m intrigued by your spreadsheet and how you managed to get it to tell you where you’d be without OPs, is there a magic formula for this? Hope you’re having a fabulous time in Japan, it’s on my bucket list!

Thank you for your kind words!

Basically, in my spreadsheet I have listed out the following things (among many others, it's huge with way too many useless stats :D ):
    A: Month
    B: Mortgage balance without overpayments (I also have a few additional columns to calculate that, but the easiest thing would be to just stick your details into an online calculator and paste the results into your sheet)
    C: Actual mortgage balance
    In column D, I have a little formula that prints for each month the 'equivalent month without overpayments', i.e. how far ahead I am. That formula looks like this:
    =(INDEX(A:A,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX((B:B<C2),),0)))
    C2 would of course change with each row, so become C3, C4, C5, etc.

Might be worth noting that I actually use Google Sheets for ease of access, but I reckon the
    same formula should work in excel too.

I hope that helps :)

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    julicorn, that's brilliant - the OP, and Simon the Sourdough :) sharing recipes will be great, yes please.  The spreadsheet sounds wonderful but I'm not going there :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • julicorn
    Options
    Karmacat said:
    julicorn, that's brilliant - the OP, and Simon the Sourdough :) sharing recipes will be great, yes please.  The spreadsheet sounds wonderful but I'm not going there :D
    Thank you! <3 We used this recipe for the pizza base, and the website in general seems really great and has tons of resources and general explanations around baking with sourdough: https://www.theperfectloaf.com/sourdough-pizza-dough-and-recipes/ 
    We'll work our way through some of the bread recipes next, starting with the beginner's sourdough bread towards the end of next week. :) 
    There's also a fantastic vegan pizza chain that started here in Brighton called Purezza, and we've just ordered their recipe book which should arrive today. I swear cook books are my downfall, it feels like there's always another one that's worth having :D To be fair, we don't have a pizza book yet, so that's my excuse here. 
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just started to read the page at that linkie ... definitely, that's a woman who knows what she's talking about!  I'm focussed on my garden at the moment (had the fences done, so the soil is very compressed, but can't do much in this freezing weather) but the kitchen is second on the list after "tidying" :) 

Interesting about the vegan pizza place!  You've got to love Brighton :) even when you move away like I did, for house price reasons.  
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure