My plan, for what it's worth

Options
I have managed to get rid of all my credit card debt and my overdraft (around £32k in total), I'm now lwft with the following:
My car - £22k remaining - £476 per month
Wife's car - £13k remaining - £328 per month
Bank loan that I used to kill the credit cards off - £4757 remaining - £428 per month
I am currently overpaying on the loan by £50 per month, this should get it finished in around 10 months.
After that I will then overpay on both cars by an extra £200 per month as I can't find anything in the T&Cs that limit the overpayment by that amount.
Once those are done, so I think that'll be about 2.5 to 3 years, that will fall nicely with the plan for my mortgage being paid in less than 10 years as in the MF section.

That's the plan, I'll update the thread as I can, to use a line out of a recent song (cheesy I know but truthful) - It's been a long road from where we began.
I can see the end of the tunnel, granted it's pin hole at the minute but getting bigger every month.

Comments

• ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sell both cars and buy some cheap ones that will wipe out around £30k fast
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ^^^ as above, you obviously can't afford expensive cars, you could both have a decent car each for around 5k each instead of 35k
    but well done so far.!
  • LeeU
    LeeU Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In real terms, the cars cost me around £350 per month as my car allowance cover the rest, I can manage that ok.

My plan was more along the lines of I've done that hard part not I'm coming to the end of a long journey.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    If you have everything under control and you just want to record your progress, there is a Debt Free Diary board which might suit you better.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • lynz68
    lynz68 Posts: 323 Forumite
    Options
    You haven't got rid off your credit card debt you have just moved it to a loan. That's fine as long as you can comfortably afford it but don't delude yourself that you have gotten rid of it.

I hope you have cut the credit cards up though as its all to easy to build that debt up again.

Having a plan is great sticking to it is the problem .... Been there done that
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,636 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Debt consolidation does not work. Speak to the many people who have tried it in the past and just built it all back up again. You have not cleared the credit card debt - you have just moved it so you have not done the hard bit. The hard bit is sticking to the budget whilst paying £1282 monthly towards debt.

However if you had £32k on the loan initially and now only have £4757 remaining then this is a great reduction. Are you now living without having to use credit cards and overdrafts?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • LeeU
    LeeU Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I started out with around £32k of debt, my wife and I had different cars at that point. I took out the loan and cut up the cards before I had even paid them off, the cars listed above are recentish additions, I spend a lot of time driving and can cover a few thousand miles in a week so I bought something I really liked.

I know debt consolidation does not always work but, in my case it did, the initial shock of not being in the position I was in prior to taking out the loan was huge, and I do mean shock, it highlighted how much I was actually paying out each month just to cover the cards, overdraft, etc.

I did make the mistake of running the overdraft up again but no where near as much, that's now gone completely.

It's taken me 5 years to get to this point, and that's been the hard part.

Believe me, it took a long while for me to decide to change my car, I had paid out quite a lot and it was getting older even though it was in overall good condition plus the company car policy states the car must be less that 5 years old, mine was 9.

As I said in a previous post, my car allowance means I'm not paying the full amount, only around £350.

I have NO credit cards, NO overdraft, just loan, 2 car payments and the mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure