first post and i'm making a new start

Options
Hi
i'm new to posting although i've been reading the boards for a while now. It seems to make more sense to join in with the challenges as I hope then it will be harder to give up and spend the pennies that i've saved on something i don't actually need!

I've recently been married and are thinking about starting a family so i really need to get a grip on the finances, to be honest myself and husband are as bad and seem to encourage each other to spend money.

as it stands our total debt is £21109.04 including my overdraft, then my husband also has an overdraft. In addition to this i have student loan, we have our mortgage and also a bit of money left on a car loan to my parents which will be paid by Christmas - only £384 left to go! and then about £3000 on the car finance although i need to check this. we are going to use our wedding gift money to repay the car as we feel that at least we have then got something to show for it rather than paying it back to a loan.

It seems to make for sorry reading...but rather than post yesterday I spent the day registering for Mystery Shopping sites and putting stuff on ebay and amazon. I have also set myself a weekly limit for spending each month and hopefully if i can keep up with all of this the debt will come down nicely.

I've found some really great ideas alreay from the forums, just need to get myself going and i'm looking forward to updating my totals at the end of the month already!
Debts all paid!!!:j

Comments

• vyvyan_2
    Options
    Hello and welcome :wave: sounds like you've made a good start!
  • Lemon_Tree
    Lemon_Tree Posts: 10,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    well done for making the leap onto here, if you post your SOA then greater minds than mine will be able to suggest ways for you to save money. Also try the snowball calculator and it will be able to help you chose the best ways to minimise the interest you pay and bring forward your debt free date.
  • benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Hi and welcome !! :hello: , well done for posting ... as already said please post your SOA and we'll all see if we can spot anything to help you further. Best advice I can give is keep visiting here every day, it will help keep the motivation up, and everytime you think you've done everything you can to save money somebody here will come up with some other way to save a few more pennies ;):D

You've made a good start with registering for other sites and stuff, have you joined Quidco yet? Another bit of advice, keep a log o all the mystery shopping / ebay etc bits of money you get ... it may only seem like a couple of pounds here and there but over time it can add up to huge amounts of money and it is great motivation to be able to look back and see how far you've come :beer:

Good luck and keep posting :D
    Mortgage Total: £55,900 / £75,000
    2024 Savings: £2532
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    Just to say welcome! Its incredible what you can pay off when you cut down on spending and set your mind to it. It can be very up & down with enthusiasm waning and coming faster than the tide in WSM but looks like you'll need to be with the long haulers among us so clim aboard & welcome to a new kind of life where getting a bargain is the buzz & paying of a CC makes your month! Big hug for you & well done for tackling things!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• doodledo_2
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the board :T
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW No: 712

03/09/09 - DEBT FREE AT LAST :D
    Racing Hypno to Save - £10/£5000
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,632 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi & welcome to the DFW board.
    Pop up your SOA & we'll see if we can help!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    as it stands our total debt is £21109.04 including my overdraft, then my husband also has an overdraft. In addition to this i have student loan, we have our mortgage and also a bit of money left on a car loan to my parents which will be paid by Christmas - only £384 left to go! and then about £3000 on the car finance although i need to check this. we are going to use our wedding gift money to repay the car as we feel that at least we have then got something to show for it rather than paying it back to a loan.

I really don't wish to sound harsh but think you may be misleading yourself or it could just be the way you've typed it.
    You say you owe £21109.04+ DH OD+ student loan+ parents car loan+ car finance.
    You need to add it all up if you want to tackle it the best way.
    I don't know if you are familiar with snowballing but if you head on over to www.whatsthecost.co.uk/snowball.aspx then you can input everything including interest rates and what you are able to repay each month and you will get a picture of your debt free date. Then any extras that you earn or manage to trim from the budget can go towards repaying the debts and will bring your dfd closer.
    When you set the amount for your snowball you must be realistic because there is nothing worse than trying to repay debts and always feeling like you are one step behind.
    You also need to give yourself a set leisure budget for you as a couple and each so you don't get resentful about just throwing money at your debts.
    Good luck and here's to your new life!
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • chloebelle
    Options
    Welcome :hello:

You've made a great start, read the boards, get more ideas, get involved in the challenges and you'll be well underway.

And sit down and do you SOA, its not fun and can be a nasty shock but its a must-do.
    :eek: Total debt £21,000 :eek:
    Weight loss to date - 2 st, 2lb:j
  • david_hellier
    Options
    Hi.

SOA please within 3 days and remember to include your current od balance and its APR.

Cheers.
  • needtopaymydebts
    Options
    i'm just going to read the boards thanks
    Debts all paid!!!:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts