PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

We'll Eat Again

Options

Comments

• Thriftlady
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »
    She seems to have her own blog now which probably takes up quite a bit of time. People come and go from the forums - I used to be on here quite a bit, but stopped for ages. It's only recently that I've come back to it. No particular reason really. It's possible that she reads, but doesn't have time to post any more.
    I do indeed still read. It's been so long since I last posted that I'd forgotten my password and as it was connected to a defunct email address I've had to re-register with a slightly different name.

To the OP may I recommend the recipe for Duke Pudding in We'll Meet Again? It's one of my younger son's favourites and is not only very cheap to make, the ingredients are usually readily to hand plus it's pretty healthy for a pudding.

I was sad to hear of Marguerite Patten's death last year.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    How nice to see you again Thriftlady!
    you have been missed on here!
  • lillibet_dripping
    Options
    Thriftlady wrote: »
    I do indeed still read. It's been so long since I last posted that I'd forgotten my password and as it was connected to a defunct email address I've had to re-register with a slightly different name.

To the OP may I recommend the recipe for Duke Pudding in We'll Meet Again? It's one of my younger son's favourites and is not only very cheap to make, the ingredients are usually readily to hand plus it's pretty healthy for a pudding.

I was sad to hear of Marguerite Patten's death last year.

Hello Thriftlady! How lovely to 'see' you again!
    I was also sad to hear of the death of Shirley Goode ('Taste the Goode Life')
    :j[DFW Nerd club #1142 Proud to be dealing with my debt:TDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862:eek:April 2013 = £20414:T April 2014 = £11000 :TApril 2015 = £9500 :T April 2016 = £7200:T
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM:j:j:beer::j:j:T:T
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    When I was in primary school (some time ago now) we did a project about WW2 rationing where we stuck to rations at home for a week. My whole family joined in and from my memories I remember not having enough cheese, eggs or milk and too much jam and sugar. It was a carb heavy diet with lots of veg, little meat/ fish - as a child I didn't mind eating any veg. Though we had great puddings I did miss modern sweets and fruit especially. Getting a poke of sugar to dip my rhubarb stick in was the highlight of the week for me.

I think my mum and grandma cheated on the tea though :p
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Well, they say our health was better then that at any other time, so it must have been ok. And people walked a lot and did more physical work, so the carbs would be needed.
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    ahhh Woolton pie the bain of my life when I was a little girl I HATED it,and my late Mum would insist on cooking the blessed things at least once a week.We also had to eat snoek which was some sort of tinned fish which was vile as well.But I loved bubble and squeak and corned beef hash and the milk puddings to fill you up ,like semolina,tapioca or rice pud, where my two brothers and I would argue over whose turn it was to have the crispy skin off the top I loved the burnt bits in the corners of the dish:):):) In our house we either had soup to start with then the main meal, or main meal and a pudding Starters and puddings were meant to fill you up so you didn't notice the lack of meat on the plate Veg was always piled high and lots of Bisto gravy helped keep the illusion of a 'meaty meal' With rationing until I was 12 it was a case of eat up or go without.But rarely did you turn your nose up and say I don't like/want to eat it .There are few things I won't eat at all now apart perhaps from tripe, as the smell just makes me heave ,although it was eaten when I was a little girl irrespective, as my Mum didn't allow for 'fussy eaters'

I thought it was interesting that programme where they had a modern family go back through the years and relive the 40's onwards that the modern kids pulled their faces at first but soon started eating what was on their plates even when they didn't like it because it was all there was lol. Maybe sometimes too much choice makes us all too fussy.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow. mardywotsit, monnagran People coming out of the woodwork :wave:

I love the sound of these recipes. Don't have the book, but will have a scout around. I'm always looking for recipes for using up basics - can't be doing with these 'tsp of pomegranate molasses' things that are everywhere. What on earth? And what do I do with the rest?

Going to hunt for the parsnip croquettes. I've got a couple needing rescuing. Also have 1/2 butternut squash, 1/2 savoy, 1/2 red cabbage and 4 sorry looking carrots. Mmmmmm. Any ideas:D:D
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well, I know what I would do with those veg. Prepare them along with 1 or two leeks, some potatoes and keep them in separate piles. In a good heavy frying pan, fry off each separate pile (except cabbage) with a little oil and toss into a lidded casserole. Add flour to the frying pan and pick up every last bit of brown flavour before adding some hot vegetable stock and a good squirt of tomato puree, mix and pour over the veg. Heat in a medium oven for 50 mins, meanwhile make up some dumplings with suet or veg suet, flour, dried herbs to taste and water. Bring out the casserole, add dumplings, return to over and cook a further 30 mins. Serve with crusty bread and the shredded and steamed cabbage.

ps I also have all the three Marguerite Patten books and many other contemporaneous ones, though I'm only 59.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • FurryBeastOz
    Options
    lisa110rry wrote: »
    Well, I know what I would do with those veg. Prepare them along with 1 or two leeks, some potatoes and keep them in separate piles. In a good heavy frying pan, fry off each separate pile (except cabbage) with a little oil and toss into a lidded casserole. Add flour to the frying pan and pick up every last bit of brown flavour before adding some hot vegetable stock and a good squirt of tomato puree, mix and pour over the veg. Heat in a medium oven for 50 mins, meanwhile make up some dumplings with suet or veg suet, flour, dried herbs to taste and water. Bring out the casserole, add dumplings, return to over and cook a further 30 mins. Serve with crusty bread and the shredded and steamed cabbage.

ps I also have all the three Marguerite Patten books and many other contemporaneous ones, though I'm only 59.

Thanks for this. No suet so I did a lentil and bacon veg base with butternut squash and cauliflower mash on top instead of potato. Gardeners pie I think!

Loving the ideas and Thrifty's old thread - and I'm only 36! My Mum hates cooking so I don't know where I get it from.

My fathers overriding memory of her mothers cooking was 4 potatoes. Between the 4 of them! My mother and I always over cater. But while my mother throws huge amounts away (I cringe every time I go), I can rubberise a chicken with the best of them:rotfl:
  • FurryBeastOz
    Options
    jackie0 Just been looking through thriftys old thread - where did you live? I was brought up just up the hill from Lee High Road - next to St Margarets Church on Lee Terrace.

Just to say - the Gardeners Pie has been approved by DH. Makes a change from just making soup out of bendy veg. One to go in the 'times are tight' folder.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family