PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

We'll Eat Again

Options
I have had this wonderful cookbook by Marguerite Pattern for a few years now and have just dipped in and out of it. Last night I took it up to bed with me to ponder. It is a fab book for the Old Styler and I have decided to make better use of it. I am going to try and cook all the recipes from the book over the coming year. I am sure it will really help with my small shopping budget and my large waist line:rotfl:
I am starting today (off meal plan) with Parsnip Croquettes, seeing as I discovered a bag of parsnips living in the pantry last night that need some sort of resusitation to be edible.
Does anyone else have the book and fancy a little cook a long?
Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look out for the book and watch this thread with interest for veggie recipes.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There is a compilation book of We'll Eat Again, The Victory Cookbook (after the war ended but not before rationing ended) and a third book called Post War Kitchen that covers the years between 1945 and 1954 when rationing officially ended. It's called JUBILEE DISHES (Patriotic Recipes for the 21st Century) by Marguerite Patten ISBN 0 7537 0634 2 issued in 2002 by Midpoint Press.

It's often in charity shops, I've had the individual books which wore out with use and am now on my second edition of the Jubilee Dishes book which has such nice and usable dishes even for 2016. I've always found dishes from this much nicer than they 'read', if you come across a copy grab it with both hands, it's the recipe book I use the most and is really great.
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    I did a version of this last year, picking a recipe from the books once a week to try. I didn't keep it up for long for various reasons, but I'll be watching your experiment with interest!
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had all three of those books and used them often.
    A couple of times I have organised 'forties' evenings for various churches and I handed out recipes from the books to those who were coming and everyone had to make one dish. This caused much groaning at first but on the night everyone was buzzing and amazed at how good it all tasted in spite of the somewhat unusual ingredients. My contribution was usually jam tarts made with mashed potato pastry. They went down very well.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oooh I have it.. I might have to dig it out and join in... :)
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • FrugalinShropshire
    Options
    The Parsnip Croquettes were a real success and made enough to feed 4 adults with a sensible sized portion. They were very savoury, probably from the teaspoon of yeast extract in the sauce. I served them with baked beans and mashed potato, so a very healthy meal.
    For lunch I did a Split Pea Soup in the pressure cooker from a Wartime Diet Blog and that was very yummy too with some home made bread. Both very filling and nourishing meals.
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • clickerty-click
    Options
    Good luck with your quest, I have the Victory cookbook somewhere this has prompted me to look it out.
  • LindseyandMatthew
    Options
    I have this book too, will be interesting to follow your progress and I may even join in myself
    BABY SOPHIE BORN 14/08/08
    Matthew born 09/07/2001 (7 weeks prem)
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No:37
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There is an older thread on MSE called THRIFTLADYS WARTIME EXPERIMENT which might interest you if you are thinking of joining FrugalinShropshire on her journey this year. Some nice recipes on there and an interesting read.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure