The Spreadsheet Diva's MF Diary

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, you've got the information on where you're spending what, Sue, and that gives you choices - good for you. I can understand its discouraging when there's always something, and there always is - my storm damage being a case in point, actually :)

I wonder if you need to go "down a brand", in Martin's terminology? £8 tennis balls for the dog - maybe you got a billion tennis balls for that, I don't know, but you can get a lot of them for that sort of dosh on Amazon, cheap ones, or even from Poundland etc? Just thinking out loud. Might help with the food bill too. Information is power, yay :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lol he is a German Shepherd, we did buy cheap balls they lasted 1 minute so the more expensive one are the cheaper option as it was 2 tubs for £8
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • LadyGnome
    LadyGnome Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just finished reading your diary and I think you have done an amazing job given the fact that you are effectively carrying the whole family. Both your DD and your husband are using you as their emotional punchbags and that is not fair. You are a very strong person but I do think you need to protect yourself too.

A couple of thoughts, my husband had PTSD and it did make him a real pain in the @rse to live with for years. He is coming out the other side now but still tends to be a bit of a blamer. I just turn around and say "why is this my fault? when do you take responsibility?" Your DH may not be ready to hear that yet! One thing that does work with him is mentioning something that I want to change in passing and then leaving it for bit so he has time to get used to the idea. I have gradually been making him responsible for some things as well.

Hide the tin or put most of the money in a notice account to earn interest so you can get to your dream caravan faster.

Does your husband eat stuff because he sees it. Do you have somewhere you could stash extras and keep topping up so there are always supplies. That way he might see 3 brunch bars, eat 2 over the weekend then on Monday you just replace the missing 2 from your stash. That might help him feel that there is always enough without you having to massively overbuy.

As for your work colleague
    Why do you say that? - if he makes a chippy comment
    I'm sorry to hear you couldn't cope - if he suggests you gave him something too late etc. (aim for a caring worried frown with this one)

Keep plodding on. Every pound you overpay is one in the eye for the bank.:T
    MortgageStart Nov 2012 £310,000
    Oct 2022 £143,277.74
    Reduction £166,722.26
    OriginalEnd Sept 2034 / Current official end Apr 2032 (but I have a cunning plan...)
    2022 MFW #78 £10200/£12000
    MFiT-6 #28 £21,772 /£75000
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Excellent advice above.

There is one thing I've been meaning to mention, and now that it has been brought up again, and fresh in my mind, don't really want to be a party popper :(

This caravan you both speak of; is it the touring, mobile kind or static, its just that if static, you could be taking on another mortgage :eek: the ground fees are not cheap, then there's the insurance, rates, elec and gas, and upkeep, plus anything else I've forgot. Touring may be a different kettle altogether, thought I would just point this out, just incase. We just paid the yearly ground fees today and that was more than my 10% o/p allowance on my mortgage for the year:eek: when I say we - I mean my mum:A
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • SueP19
    Options
    Touring so rest easy Frayed lolol xx
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • Petal88
    Petal88 Posts: 272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sue I've never seen you so quiet before! Hope everything is okay :grouphug:
    Mortgage Oct '20: £615k
    Mortgage Feb '24: 590k
    Debt Feb'24: £35,501.54
  • SueP19
    Options
    Ah bless you Petal

I'm ok, things are crap as usual and I just worried my posts were always doom and gloom. :(:( and people would get fed up of it :D

Currently in the wings are Swinton, still disputing my change over of car insurance (£88 charges) New one Post Office disconnected me on 24th March to change to BT but are now saying that BT didn't do it right so they are continuing to bill me, in fact called them liars this morning as they did disconnect me on 24th. Anglian water direct debit not taken, turns out they not actioned it!!!

Money running out my pocket/bank like no tomorrow, DD needs some and OH suddenly decided he now needs to buy that part he said he didn't need about 6 weeks ago :mad::mad::mad:

Still trying to keep to my new MSE ways...............not got a lot of money for my hols but hey ho :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

KM'd me knee high and OH's socks, they are very happy :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Petal88
    Petal88 Posts: 272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah I'm glad you're okay - got worried there!

Can't believe all the admin faff you have to deal with over BT/post office and car insurance! It always amazes me how difficult these things can be considering how many customers they have. Over the past year I must have spent countless of hours on the phone to €on, t@lkt@lk, np0wer, council tax etc as everyone keeps messing up. Surprisingly enough they're always quick to take my money but super slow on giving it back!!

What's the update on your DD btw, did she find a new job in the end?
    Mortgage Oct '20: £615k
    Mortgage Feb '24: 590k
    Debt Feb'24: £35,501.54
  • SueP19
    Options
    No job yet :(:( not through trying she is applying everyday for stuff and has broadened her choice, too qualified for this but not good enough grades for that. Housing still have her benefit wrong :mad::mad::mad:

I think these companies must pinch millions of people in small amounts...........the Post Office owed me £6.32 but managed to claw it back to me owing them £1.68 but in reality they owe me about £9!!! To outright lie and tell me my service has continued when I got up on change over day to have no broadband is despicable, she told me it would take 15 days for it to be investigated and paid back.............my parting word were you had better not take any money from my account else there would be hell to pay but I know they will
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Just wondering how you are, then realised you must be on your holiday. Hope you're having a lovely time :D
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure