In the nick of time

Options

Comments

• Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Hi Brizzle,

All drama here ;) We long for a bit of boring :)

Airbnb still very productive. Over £600 in august and planned £250 in September. We are taking a lot of time off from it through September and October as we have 2 weeks hols plus I'm on nights and fussy over my lack of sleep. We have 10 bookings for October so far and sporadic bookings through to February. We even have a returning guest over Christmas for 5 nights!! (We weren't quick enough on that one) . OH chief bed maker to supplement his income and he is now only working 22.5 hrs (nights) in the supermarket. It started off as a boost to income , but has ended up allowing OH to work less. He's 58 and tired :o

The website has a stats page and including September the earnings from airbn6 so far this year are £3800. Each booking we provide tea coffee bread for toast jams butter... then the extra washing.. but bills aren't up that much.

We then have extra earnings from our permanent lodger... He's been fairly good at paying this year. He has a lovely girlfriend at the mo... heaven help us if she dumps him,

Good job the gov increased the annual limits of earnings to £7.5k tax free :D

I have woken up with a headache this am... I haven't had a migraine in years but it is not responding to the usual paracetamol/codeine/brufen.... and now the neighbours have music blasting through the walls. :( OH came home from his night shift at 5am so he'll be up soon... I think he thinks I'm exaggerating the drum playing (after he goes to work) and the annoyance of them.. The older guy, the home owner is certainly not speaking to me after I bought my arbour.. to stop him staring into my front garden. (there was a tree incident a few months back) . It's s 60's music so I imagine its him , rather than his son who is in his late 30's , that'd be rock music....

Anyhow hopefully the day will get better as I'm on countdown to our holiday. I have 7 night shifts from Monday to contend with first.

We travel 22nd to San Francisco , visit vine yards, golden gate and alcatraz.. then a cheap flight the Las vegas and a stay in the Luxor (cheesey ) and see JLo , then a greyhound bus $10 to LA for three nights before returning to San Fran for our flight home.

All transport bought at great prices £1250 including insurance. The hotels are another matter, however, I decided to upgrade rather than be cheap.. Total £3050 ...
    Alcatraz £75
    Vineyards £80
    JLo £250, I'm hoping most of Vegas will be more relaxing as warmer and a pool

I have £3k to take with us, and I am hoping we will bring £1k back with us... maybe a hope too far

That's where my mortgage over payments have disappeared too... and of course ,after years of wearing the same things I have needed new clothes , suitcases swimming costumes and just generally clothes the next size up
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    seen as I'm confessing

£270 arbour (with delivery )
    £180 on Victorian garden swing
    £150 Ivy hedge removal
    £80 hedge cutter (only used once as brute force tool hedge down, and won't be required again)

Clothes ??????? :o

£7800 to DD1 ( plus extra £370 that she owes)

Food , £50 per week for 3 adults currently (with alcohol) This week only £25 as using freezer up

I love the location of our house, the river is so still this am, and the half marathon groups have run past, but I would love privacy... listening to puppet on a string clearly through from next door is B188dy irritating
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    tonight is my middle shift so on the downward slope to my days off

Is it a no spend day If I've not spent anything? Well OH took a tenner for shopping on Monday and he's just taken a £20 now to top up shop, with snack type foods I can grab quickly on night duty....
    He's making pork stir fry for tea, proper freezer emptying going well.

I usually get break 2am ish or 3am... this morning I had to stop to catch up and document so a cuppa at my desk at 5am, but the time when I had no queue was 6.30am....

DD2 is eating us out of house and home!!

our flights are early next Friday, I'm wondering about booking a airport room the night before. The OH said lets get taxi to airport... loads of extra costs :o

Its DD2s birthday Monday, I don't finish work until Monday morning, she'll have £100 in a card. But she wants a meal at a local restaurant , I haven't asked if she want DD1 to come.. I can't just assume can I ?

Tuesday is hair do day... I'm having some copper balayage added and a few individual extensions to pad out my fine mop.

Wednesday , final shop, need walking daytime flats...

Thursday ? hotel...

Friday breakfast time flights to USA

I have kept the last 2 weeks rent from the bank and DD1s returning cash but this is what OH has discovered for shopping :o , but potential taxi's ,DD2s birthday and meal. We might as well just have the cash

4 nights left to work before 26 days off... (I'm pretending its a month ) :T:T:T:T:T
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have a fantastic holiday :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • brizzledfw
    Options
    Have a brilliant brilliant time off. Cant wait to hear all about it.

X
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Have an absolutely amazing time :)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hope you're having a ball xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Hope your having a wonderful time, the itinerary sounds great.
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Wow MFD! You have been so busy, I hope you are having an amazing time on holibobs and come back refreshed!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Thanks all for your messages :D

We had a lovely holiday... OH was a moody g!t once or twice. I think its age related grumpy old man syndrome. 12 out of 14 perfect days is a good result. I don't think he likes being out of his comfort zone... at the Greyhound bus station in Las Vegas his face was a picture of horror/fear/confusion/snobbery just at the surroundings, the locals..... I kept having to poke him in the ribs to stop him shaking his head... . In LA , taxi past Skid row where miles of homeless people live in tents on the pavements was literally Jaw dropping and so sad. It's a problem of many presidents and cannot be blamed on the current one.

We under spent by around £500 which has been paid to the CC . This is a miracle in itself as things were just so expensive.

If I were to do things differently I wound spend an extra night in Vegas or LA and return from the LA as we flew back to San Francisco for the final night and flight home.

DD2 made us an amazing welcome home cake... her first effort... perfect , and she painted a hand made welcome banner... I think both our daughters and grand daughter missed us :)

Now to sort out the finances ,

DD1 owes £150 but will pay £50 off that today
    lodger owes £240 , he will pay today.
    @irbnb 15 nights for October with projected pay out £450

I have £700 unspent from salary
    EF £2k intact
    household bills get sorted mostly from OH salary and up to date :)

CC @ £3k this am
    0% cc is at £4300

Mortgage is £158k as has had an OP of 107.86 this month

May aim is to clear the £3k card by end of November whilst keeping EF (old boiler worries :o )

All extra income to be thrown at that.

DD1 off to NYC on her prize trip on Sunday :T:T:T , childcare will be needed
    DD2 taking a Gap year and is off to South Wales to view uni's, she has got out of the South uni let saving her £5k this year (and taking me off the guarantor, phew )

Sure I have more to say... but glad to be home. A Lidl weekly shop is the same price as 2 beers and 2 wines.. SMALL ONES
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback