In the nick of time

Options

Comments

• Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is a tough one, we love our area, but we made a mistake buying this house. It took me years to accept it. I only liked it when I thought I was going to lose it. Money pit, band aid house, mill stone.... it's been called more than them, however it is home and I'm now calling it a HMO.

One thing about my OH is he dislikes making anyone unhappy, he's not a yes person in everything, but instead of saying NO when I suggested moving he said yes (we had had a few troubles at the time)... I later found his business was hanging by thread, so this house has always meant extra work on my part...

We are off to an old friends BBQ today and hoping the rain stays off. OH has the night off, he has swapped it to somewhere else rather than a holiday.

I'm back to work Monday for a little early shift then back on nights at the week end.. OH keeps saying "we have nothing planned until our holiday, plenty of time to save".... it just never quite works like that :o
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Well I was right in saying "it never works out like that"..... DD1 got the keys to her new house yesterday, but she has to be out of her rented place today...

The vendor was a filthy so&so who left he place in a disgusting state. Where is his pride!!... He left behind a load of rubbish, mouldy fridge, quilts, bedding, tv, sofa, lamps, underwear, coffee tables, yuk yuk yuk. I would have taken responsibility for it, but due to the state of the place DD1 has spoken to the EA and they have said they will charge him for rubbish removal. That all now waiting removal in front of house. (too small to call garden)

Toilet doesn't work,,,,, least said about that the better.... its a good job I have a strong stomach.... the cistern won't fill, well it takes an hour to fill .... It's a newer design of loo and Mr google says might be a blocked valve. I might have a go later or leave it to the lodger. The exterior pipe looks rotten at that point too, only a few inches of it. It may be cheaper just to buy the new internal kit.

When DD1 went to open the door for the first time the handle came off. We kept smiling... but chri$t no security!!. after driving around the local DIY shops for the fittings and no success, I went to BNQ and their own brand was perfect. £26 :) v's yale at £30 to £80.

We knew the floor joists were likely to need replacing in the hall. it was bouncy and dipping when we viewed , but took that into consideration. Lodger going to fix those next week... I doubt DD1 will be able to repay me the money owed (she promised me her deposit return), however I have said I will give the lodger a weeks rent free to do her floors/joists. I think the bathroom joists need sorting too.

So today I have been awake since 4am. I have said to DD1 I will be at hers to 8am to start moving the smaller boxes in my little 207 that's fab with the seats flat. Then she can start cleaning each room as we leave. She will only get her deposit back if she replaces the 2 bedroom carpets, so that's my OH's job today. After he's prepared our guest room for a 4 night stay!!! Oh and fit DD1s carpets in new place, start laminate in Gds room ETC .... phew.... Who's house is it again ;);)

I'll be doing furniture removals to keeps Man and van costs down, and probably going to the tip too.
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You'll need a holiday after all this running around! Not to mention some tlc on the bank accounts!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Oh no what a nightmare mfd. Hopefully she will be all settled soon.
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,552 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh dear sounds horrible let's hope things improve from here at least you got some help sounds like OH is a start hope your daughter appreciate the two of you
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Feeling your pain MFD. We've been in the house 3 weeks tomorrow and I've still not got through all the cleaning and the unpacking :eek: How awful for DD1 to find all that mess after the excitement of picking up the keys. It will be fabulous in the end though.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Thank you everyone :)

We've got through the day, DD1 and OH needed a prod to get going but in the end we all worked our socks off. I agree totally fortune, the cleaning will go on for weeks. OH played a blinder this pm as he fitted the stair carpet and underlay, a bedroom carpet and underlay, and laid the underlay for GDs bedroom.

I must have made about 6 or 7 trips, then went back to hoover old house, then was kitchen diner cleaner and sorter.... I'll be glad to go to work tomorrow.

Thankfully DD1 is over the moon :j:j:heart::heart:
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glad your Dd is settling in now, it's shocking how some people leave so much mess when they move out, ours was filthy too when we moved in many years ago.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Moneyfordreams
    edited 8 August 2017 at 8:52PM
    Options
    Another busy week, OH was feeling off colour and after a funny turn a few weeks ago I took him to the doc. Then bloods tests ecgs and stuff at the hospital have all been good. hopefully this is reassuring for him. He's been feeling a bit low again. He Says because he's approaching the age his parents died, and that working nights have become a struggle. He has got a sick note for the first time ever. But he also wants to look for another job. My friend who works for the same company says they get sick pay after the first 3 days. So that will likely be a weeks pay less next month and minus the £2 night enhancements . My advice (nagging) is finally hitting home, be healthy , less sugar, less fatty foods, less alcohol. :T :T

We have lots of room bookings, but last weeks rent diverted to dd1, We are currently babysitting. Have been since 12.00. Dd1 should be back at 9pm. She doing extra hair to pay me back .:)

After working weekend nights , I'm back on a long day tomorrow. I would go to bed now if we didn't have the little one here.
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    Options
    Glad DH investigations came back ok. Sounds like you would both benefit from healthy shift pattern.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback