In the nick of time

Options

Comments

• brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just catching up. Sounds good and glad you're giving lodger a chance and bartering time for back rent....but..you're fundamentally right, that's a long haul back to solvency for someone who seems to have an irregular income.

We are about the same on the mortgage give or take. Still planning to be done in 2022.. race yer :rotfl:

Hope you have a good week.
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Creative accounting :D

Well after commenting on another diary about loft insulation I gave some thought to ours. Our bathroom is always freezing in the winter, and our bnb loft room needs heating on far too much. Wadding was laid a few years ago and insulating plaster board to the exterior walls but we still feel the winter chill . I've looked at some insulating roofing rolls. local building suppliers have rolls for £101 (we will need 6 I think) . online they are much cheaper at £78.

Lodger is going to do it for us to work off some of the rent he owes. If we measure accurately rather than my guestimate OH recons we can order 5 at a cost of £325

So with the £153 i found this week plus the £57 reduction in flooring costs, I only have to find £115. OH is expecting a better pay this week so I think he can chip in :T:T
    Then we will have a warmer house and lower gas bills , win win :j:j

Just in the nick of time too, it rather cold up here, and you'll never guess what . . . . . . its SNOWING :eek::eek:
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • giblet1979
    Options
    Sounds like lots going on mfd...hope the lodger pays up soon! X
    Debt remaining: :(
    Mortgage - £117,759 (£134,600, Nov 2013)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200) :beer:

• Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Brizzle, better the devil you know :o .... oh and yer on :D

AFK .. SNOW how awful... I'm feeling the chill already... my poor gas bills!! I've changed to SP provider and reduced monthly payment of both is £63... think treble if for SNOW

Giblet , my OPs are far too linked to other people... :( times like this shows need to bump up my own
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Still on nights, 5 down 2 to go .. surviving and sleeping my best ever :T:T
    really looking forward to my 7 days off from Monday :D

I can't even say it's been a low spend week as I ordered the insulation. I'm a bit disappointed that I couldn't arrange delivery. I'll speak again on Monday to the company.

The week has been work /sleep. Lucky my sister has been looking after mum. She goes back to Dubai next Thursday, I feel relived she's there and guilty for leaving her there. But she is giving my other sister a rest too.

Still waiting for lodger rent but forms sent off. OH wages should be able to OP £100 more, but for a reason I can't remember :eek: I'm cautious.

Oh yeah... our TV is playing up and struggling to turn on when we want or turns itself on when we don't!!

We have not accepted bnb bookings this week do to work commitments but back to normal next week, and still expect at least £262 for November and £230 for December :D
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A week of nights Mfd, you serve that week off. Are you almost there?

We had our house insulated a few years ago and it made a huge difference. We can usually turn the heating off after a few hours even in a really cold spell. I also don't mind sitting under a blanket and wearing extra layers. We still have some cold spots (one was the garage conversion but now much warmer as had new pitched roof) and our utility room but again we are extending above it. It's like stepping outside going in there!

Hope things get sorted out with the lodger soon. I don't have an EF ether, his is something we really need to rectify.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    7 nights off
    7 nights off
    7 nights off

:j:j:j:j:j:j:j

jumping for joy.... except after 4 hours sleep I'm a bit too tired to jump ... OH making us a home made chippy curry (with rice and lamb ) cheated a few weeks ago and bought m@ackway sauce. :D

I resisted the urge to replace TV.. old google says it's a samsung fault, but it is 10 years old. so repair shop tomorrow. Hopefully won't cost too much. If you tube is right a £4.30 part is enough but we know our limitations :D

Insulation arriving Wednesday... I suppose that's what I get for free delivery. I hope it's early enough for lodger to fit before new guests arrive on Thursday. Will reduce lodgers back rent for him to fit.

Mums decline has been quite marked this year... frailty, memory loss and weight loss has rapidly took hold. I've had a week "off" whilst on nights as my dubai sister been staying with her. My turn for the next few days, then a brother arrives from north of the border for 2 weeks. Hopefully the care requirements will be established or lessen as I'm wondering if 24 hr care has been put upon her rather than long term need, time will tell. Her chest seems better, but medicines support now essential.

DD1 is just lovely, she's so kind nice, and has grown into a lovely young woman and mother..... I even got her car payment before I asked for it this month ;)
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Ouch to that many nights in a row....though I am on a bad run with two on, finish this am and back on for three tomorrow night...attempting to stay awake tonight so dont pull another all nighter as too tired....Have applied for another job as I am just not sure what I want to do anymore!haha.

We had a TV we were given fixed, spent £100 but couldnt buy the same size and make so was a bargain! Very pleased with the company as well! Eeverything crossed yours works for less than a fiver!

Insulation will be a great buy in the future!

Lastly remember DD is a reflection of you!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Aw that's a lovely thing to say Jodles :) Good luck in finding a job you enjoy. I feel so fortunate to have a job that is enjoyable, rewarding and pays fairly well (until they review it all again)

I do believe TV will have lots of labour charge on top..;) I hoping the repair will be about what you paid. My bank accounts are looking quite grim due to all my extra spending. However whatever I have spent it has been well thought out and the best value.

Today I will go through the freezer and meal plan. I know we have fish, mince, pork, chicken, prawns meatballs and sausages.. So plenty to make meals from. I made some biscuits the other day. I will probably make another batch whist with mum this morning.

We didn't have a date night last night,,, will aim for one tonight.(I think), but my purse is staying at home. I'm sure I have seen moths around OH's wallet ;)
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 November 2016 at 12:09PM
    Options
    Marathon post alert!! :o

Well I definitely have had a hectic week, however I am still feeling jet lagged from my night duties, desperate for sleep early evening and awake 3am. DD2 was texting at 6:30 this morning.. she said "are you off work?" and "Did I wake you?" mmmm

Well Wednesday I had a kind of s@d it kinda day. I have been looking at new dining chairs for my updated sitting room. The bottom springs have gone on a couple of ours, anyhow seen some on a face book shop advert and decided to drive almost an hour to get them. they will look fab if I ever get the not done eb'y pile off my dining table... retro low backed leather and metal in the style of old boardroom stacking type. It'll be 2 weeks before they come. not cheap. I did settle for 4 and not 6 as a compromise. I have put them on my (empty) CC and will pay half this pay day and the other half next pay day. And I ordered the blinds for the dining room to (£135)

Lodger still not up to date with rent , is waiting for HB. Had to buy a different roll for added insulation, which he did front loft above bnb room. I said I would knock whatever earned off rent. so for 2nd loft on Sunday and for yesterdays shenanigans I'll reduce amount owed to £320. After the hail stones and storms this morning I'm so glad the insulation was improved (£375 plus fitting £80). We had a couple from America arrive yesterday evening for 3 nights. And have another couple French and Canadian on Sunday for 2 nights.

During room preparation I noticed radiator not working. So OH and norent lodger tried to get it going. Call to wayward plumber friend and he came to rescue. had to buy new valve (less than a tenner) and his review cost £25... didn't have a fiver so he took the £30! (We do love him on a good day)

Anyhow he says our boiler is blowing for tugs and will not last much longer. He's told us to look at Ide@l logic 32 or 35. about £200 difference in cost. I'm wondering if this will be more cost efficient in the long run. :( This is why we have our EF and I shouldn't have s@d it days

TV collected from repair shop £40... that was a relief as I was looking at around £500 to replace. Slow cooker bowl has cracked just as I'm enjoying it.

There's more

We also bought on Wednesday cloth to make curtains for bnb room. £46 , has seaside huts to go with our seaside room. :) and fabric for a low cost picture. £12. however didn't look good so bought a frame from wilk@s which was broken when I opened it :( must take it back.

Cooking before the slow cooker broke was from the freezer. Moroccan lamb meatballs Tuesday with HM sauce, Wednesday YS mince, bulked out with oats was half for cottage pie and other half for Lasagne each meal for 3 adults and a spare portion as DD1 has taken to popping in :D. (was probably better before editing ;) )

Shopping for food has been in BnM , Coffee DE 3.99, tinned ham for OH 95p, tinned toms 25p, chocolate £5 :eek: and OH bought YS rolls... 10p each pack x 6.

So......................

If I pay for everything upfront like I should, I'll be left with about £200. so I will stagger the chair payments and think whether to add boiler to the CC for now and keep the cash handy.

I think when lodgers rent is finally here, plus the expected £400 bnb I will not OP until clear about boiler.

Phew
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback