In the nick of time

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So sorry to read you're going through all of this. Do you also have some really good support in RL who can help you through this? It's good to see that you're still spending quality time together aswell. 

We are all here for you anytime. 
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    Options
    Initially, I only told my older sister who lives in the middle east. She bombarded me with messages after several phone calls. Then I shut down, I have told my boss, but I haven't spoken to her since early on. My sister is now planning my nieces wedding later in the year, so thankfully has something else to focus on ;). I told my old childminder, who is a lovely friend in her late 70s. She actually provided some support for OH to speak too. I knew she would be sensible and keep confidences. She used to be his office employee too. I've known her since I was 10. I am meeting the friend I told this weekend for coffee. She wants to support me, but always a little too much. Without being rude, I don't have the time for weekly/biweekly meet ups. Another old family friend phoned this week. She was closer to my older sister - but I seem to be her substitute in the last couple of years. She was chatting to me on Tuesday and I just started crying and told her. She is very down to earth and was f ing and jeffing on my behalf. I think opening up on here has opened a can of worms.  

Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd also see if you can get any free counselling through work.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 236 payments to go - now £183,036 Equity 26.8%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.2K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • killerpeaty
    killerpeaty Posts: 2,655 Forumite
    Options
    Sometimes it can be good to open up, you won't have the burden of keeping a secret. Sometimes you just want to hold it all in. Regards, you should only share what you want to with whomever you want. It sounds like you have a few good and kind hearted people and that is so important.

I whole heartedly agree with vintage, I also want to add (I may be mistaken in that I may have missed it but still) that a time of unknowns is very stressful in of itself. So you will also be feeling the effects of that.
  • killerpeaty
    killerpeaty Posts: 2,655 Forumite
    Options
    It's not fair on yourself to feel like you have to watch for his every move. It's completely understandable that you want to gain control of the situation and a natural thing to do. It must be exhausting for you, especially on top of a stressful job.

I think I saw that mental health services became more available for healthcare workers after covid. Might be worth another look?

Hope the November trip will be good, being short in this month is understandable and you'll be alright.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I’m so sorry to hear what you have been going though mfd’s, what a horrible shock. Somebody close to me was in a similar situation and they have stayed together after marriage counselling, but it’s been a long journey. I understand the uncertainty of how much to share, I think you have been very brave doing so and I hope it’s a place you can let off steam if you need to, but if you change your mind further down the line then that’s fine too. In the craziness of everything going on I hope you are looking after yourself xxx 
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback