We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Dublin For Patrick's Day
kah22
Posts: 1,896 Forumite
in N. Ireland
My partner and I would like to spend a couple of days down in Dublin and take in St. Patrick's day and I was wondering what is the best way to book an hotel (our favourite is the Gresham) now that Sterling is so strong against the Euro?
I'm looking at this site at the moment and I see
Final price (including taxes) : 578.00€
* Estimated value in GBP: £428.78
Does that mean that I'm been charged 578.ooE and I'll be charged whatever the rate is on the day, either up or down? Or am I just been charged £428.78 come what may. As you can guess I live North of the border.
As always many thanks for your advice
Kevin
I'm looking at this site at the moment and I see
Final price (including taxes) : 578.00€
* Estimated value in GBP: £428.78
Does that mean that I'm been charged 578.ooE and I'll be charged whatever the rate is on the day, either up or down? Or am I just been charged £428.78 come what may. As you can guess I live North of the border.
As always many thanks for your advice
Kevin
0
Comments
-
If it's the Pay at Hotel price then you'll pay the Euro amount at the hotel when you check out and get the rate your bank gives you on the day plus any fees. If it's the pay online price then it'll be today's rate. Either the site (for pay online) or the hotel (if you pay there in person) may offer you a sterling price, this will guarantee the sterling cost to you as they will charge your card in GBP but generally these rates are poor vs the best credit cards.
If booking through hotelopia you can get 9% cashback by signing up for Topcashback and going through them to the hotelopia site, if you're not already a member the link for this is: Please note that this is a referral link and if you hit a certain level of cashback then I will get a referral credit (no cost to you). Hope that helps!
Stephen0 -
I know of someone who got a good deal when booking it with their train ticket. Maybe that's worth a try.June 2026, Mortgage free, Emergency fund fully funded & £200/200 cash maximum pb holding .:jWeight 12st challenge 11st 2lb
Gift to children challenge £40k in 2 years. Short term gift challenge 7 presents and $1300 can by September.
Determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection. I’m not perfect but I’m good enough.
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6673398/hopefully-cruising-with-focus-towards-retirement#latest0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards