What’s this about?This is a special thread where you can ask all the Travel Agents and MoneySavers who frequent this board to beat a holiday quote you have and get personalised replies.The idea is to see if someone can beat a quote for a specific holiday; not just a general price. So you need an exact quote. E.g."I've been quoted £507 per person, all-in for 2 people to Hotel Martino, half-board in the Dominican Republic leaving Gatwick on 3rd of the month returning on the 17th with Tour Operator Airtours. Can anyone beat it?"If you haven’t got a quote, then first go to the Package Holidays: Undercut the cheapest prices and Cheap Flight and Hotel Finding article.
IMPORTANT. To protect you, the rules are very strict
Please read this in detail before making a request.
Why does this exist?Many travel agents regularly add information in this Travel Board, and MoneySavers often request their help. Yet the Forum has strict rules against advertising/posting for commercial gain, so this thread has been designed to allow MoneySavers to ask for the Travel Agents help without breaking the rules; so both the agents who help and the MoneySavers can benefit. As part of this Travel agents have been given a Travel Agents Code of Conduct.STEP 1 Find the best quote before you post.As you need to start with a quote before it can be beaten, first head to either the Cheap Flight and Hotel Finding or Cheap Packages: Haggle 15% off the cost articles. Once you’ve been through that and have a decent price, then you’re ready for this thread. STEP 2. Post your quote here to see if it can be beaten
Click reply to this post (you must be registered to do this, it’s totally free, and is only necessary to stop spammers) and then post the best quote you have received so far, but don’t include your e-mail or any personal details (other than holiday details). Include the following:
STEP 3: Now Travel Agents/MoneySavers will PM youTravel agents and any other MoneySavers who want to help; will then send you a private message with their best possible deal in it if they can beat your current quote (this may take hours or days or you may not get any replies, keep checking).
- The Quote itself:
- Who the quote is from:
- Is there a booking fee:
- The Tour Operator/Airline/Hotel:
- The departure Airport/Post:
- The Holiday Dates:
- The number of people travelling (inc kids ages):
- The Hotel (or * if it’s allocate on arrival):
- The Board (self catering/half board etc):
- Any specific requirements:
- Is an in-flight meal included:
When you have messages, you will see this noted in the personal message note at the top of the page; though you need to be logged in to see it.Never include your e-mail or any personal details until you are sure it is the deal you want; and then always check the legitimacy of the agent before continuing.STEP 4: Responding to the Private MessagesIf someone has sent you a decent quote, simply reply to the private message and start the communication. If anyone sends you an inappropriate Private Message (PM) or one that breaks the rules, please report it to [EMAIL="firstname.lastname@example.org"][email protected][/EMAIL] STEP 5: Always check out who you’re dealing with before sending moneyThis thread is here for your convenience, MoneySavingExpert has no connection with any of the travel agents that post and cannot vouch for the legitimacy of quotes. Many non-travel agent MoneySavers who know the travel market may also send you their suggestions.Remember, MoneySavingExpert does not check the legitimacy of those saying they’re travel agents, that’s a check you must make yourself - you book and pay at your own risk.STEP 6: Once you’ve got the holiday you wantIf you find a deal or no longer require the quote, please go back to your post and click “edit” and then add “Holiday now booked” to it. If you don’t then it’s unfair on those who are doing work to find you the best deal. If you can add how much you paid in the end and whether this system worked or not, that’d be great. However please do not mention the name or any details about which individual travel agent/poster was cheapest as that would break the site's advertising rules.
Rules for Travel Agents responding to this thread
- Please reply by PM. Very strictly do not reply in this thread.
- You must have the Travel Agents Code of Conduct signature if you are going to respond in this thread.
- Do not send your phone number or e-mail in the initial PM, only do it if it is requested in successive PMs.
- Only respond with an actual quote of a real holiday or deal. Responses such as “I can often do prices for around £xxx” is not acceptable, it must be an actual holiday quote.
- If the details are not sufficient it is permitted to ask any clarification questions such as “can you confirm what board level you want?” but bear in mind rule 4. above for such matters. Also please do suggest that the person alters their post if there an obvious omission in the details.
- It is hoped this system will allow helpful travel agents to earn money by providing the very lowest prices, but to ensure no one is trying to dupe MoneySavers; MoneySavingExpert will blind test this on a regular basis – any agents breaking these rules will be permanently barred from using the Forums.
Rules for Non-Travel Agents responding to this thread
Providing you have no commercial link to any of the companies you are suggesting, then the rules are much less strict. If you just have a good idea of what people can do and want to share it – feel free to PM them; but do inform them you are not a travel agent and are just trying to help.
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.