PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Great Hunt: What's the best thing you've foraged?

Options

Comments

• Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My best city finds were a walnut tree in a park - made some pickled walnuts and some walnut ketchup; ginkgo tree in another park - dried some leaves for tea; wild garlic by the castle - soup; Alexanders by the Taff - candied; bay bush self seeded in the entrance area of an arts supply shop (did ask) - general flavouring.
    Had to take a trip into the countryside for blackberries, sloes, crab apples.
  • juleyross
    juleyross Posts: 3 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 3 October 2014 at 9:25AM
    Options
    Last winter, we opened up the fireplace, and after begging from skips (always ask nicely), [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] and taken all those wind-damaged fences (we asked first!) we spent the whole winter very warm FOR FREE! We've already got loads for the coming winter including wood bits from the burnt-down Hastings Pier and the off-cuts from builders building it back up! You do need somewhere to store it though!:j
    AND a freezer full of blackberries, rosehip syrup, foraged apples, plums (hedgerow), pears (tree in local car park), chestnuts (a delicious sauce), apples, pears, almonds, and figs from our garden - yummy!
  • janiebquick
    Options
    Many years ago I lived near an allotment in Leamington Spa. The council bought the site to build on, evicting the allotment holders, but left the site as it was for a couple of years. So, I filled my freezer two years running with every possible variety of soft fruit plus apple sauce made from windfalls.
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    The funniest forage ever was some hazelnuts I gathered (after a strong wind) from all places a Sainsbury Car park.
  • patm_2
    Options
    A few years ago an amazingly abundant tomato plant sprang up in the normally poor soil in our front garden next to the drain. Earlier in the year the drain had been blocked, there must have been a bit of overflow when it was unblocked! We had a fine crop of tomatoes.
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    edited 24 September 2014 at 10:50PM
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    The funniest forage ever was some hazelnuts I gathered (after a strong wind) from all places a Sainsbury Car park.

There's a Waitrose here that sells chestnuts when it's that time of year. Out in their car park is a chestnut tree!

I've not worked out yet if they're just picking them from their own tree and putting them on the shelf :p

I've heard of someone foraging salmon. He'd also sometimes sell his foraged salmon to a local pub and they'd use them for the pub meals.
  • Suzy_M
    Suzy_M Posts: 777 Forumite
    Options
    CupOfChai wrote: »
    I've heard of someone foraging salmon. He'd also sometimes sell his foraged salmon to a local pub and they'd use them for the pub meals.

:rotfl:'Foraging salmon' :rotfl:- new one on me always known it as 'poaching' myself and likely to get your collar felt by the local gamekeeper/gilly/bobby.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    I forage in my local park - I have had loads of blackberries this year, last year I was picking wild raspberries but couldn't be bothered to look for them this year. During the war, the park had some prefabs built along the sides of it, these have long since been demolished but the trees that were in the gardens still remain so I have helped myself to eating apples before now. Some are near the road but I give them a good wash before eating them. I have also picked crab apples (mistook them for eaters as they are so large - with lovely red skins and red flesh - they were a bit tart but when I told mum she told me that they weren't eaters).

I have previously foraged for sloes (in a friend's field) and made sloe vodka with them.

I run the Friends group for my local park and have been awarded some free trees (these will only be about 2ft tall) - I chose wild harvest so that we will have rosehips, hazel nuts, elderberries & flowers, sloes and crab apples. I was thinking harvest for the wildlife and harvest for humans lol.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 September 2014 at 3:25PM
    Options
    sloegin wrote: »
    During the last week in the Isle of Skye: caught mackerel, picked mussels, clams and huge scallops D

A word of warning when foraging for bivalves (scallops, clams, mussels etc.), commercial stocks are tested for shellfish toxins regularly but there is currently no publicly available monitoring data for shellfish toxins in the waters around the UK.

Shellfish toxins can cause anything from vomiting and diarrhoea to paralysis in the most extreme cases and they ARE NOT destroyed by cooking.

Also, the presence/absence of an algal bloom nearby (which produce these toxins) is not a good predictor of concentration levels as toxin production varies dependent upon type and environmental conditions. Bivalves are filter feeders and they take in the toxins with the sea water. Toxins, once accumulated, can stay in shellfish for weeks after the bloom has disappeared.

Shellfish toxins are invisible, scentless and tasteless so you won't know if your bivalves are contaminated until you get sick.

Personally I wouldn't forage for bivalves anywhere unless I contacted CEFAS (DEFRA) (England) or SEPA (Scotland) first.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • moneypicapica
    Options
    Last year I was walking by an estate where they shoot pigeons and found one freshly shot. Nobody was to be seen around, but bird still warm and sloppy, so I took it home and cooked it in red wine. (After carefully removing all the lead shot.)

Can't really call it poaching as it was already shot and not by me.

Found another bird at the same place this year, but the poor thing was only injured and I couldn't catch it by hand. Actually, I'd call this animal cruelty. They either have completely incompetent retriever dogs or really don't care at all and its all just for the fun of shooting
    .:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport