Xbox Gold Live

Options
Quick question before I spend money....

My eldest has the 12 month gold live membership that I got with my console.

My younger son wants live for his birthday for his own profile.

I am guessing I need to buy a second 12 moth gold live subscription for him??

Is there any problem having multiple gold memberships on the same console?

Comments

• PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have a 360 or a One? They treat Gold sharing differently.
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • Tucker
    Tucker Posts: 1,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's a 360.
  • PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Posts: 844 Forumite
    Options
    Then each gamertag will need its own Live Gold subscription to play online, sorry! And no more Family account, either! MS really left the 360 out to die a couple of years ago.

I suggest buying a code for 12 months of Gold, as it should be far, far cheaper. Easily less than 30, and can be had for 25. Gold codes are generally region-free, but there were some 12+1 codes a few years back that were region-locked to the US.

The easiest way to redeem a code is through Xbox.com, but MAKE SURE YOU ARE LOGGED INTO THE RIGHT ACCOUNT! ;) On the morning of his birthday, you could log into his account and redeem the code as a nice surprise for him when he goes to play (for example). If you don't know his username/password, have him enter the code on his account on the console.

It's always worth checking the console dashboard before buying Gold, as on Free accounts they will sometimes have a 1 month for 1 pound offer. You won't see this on the website, only on the console itself when signed into a Free account.

Edit: if you get 1 month for 1 pound, go into the account settings and turn off auto-renewal! It will be turned on by the special offer.
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • Tucker
    Tucker Posts: 1,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that.

I was expecting to buy a second gold 12 month membership and he has birthday money to spend and anything is better than more toys!!!

I have seen the 12 months membership for under £25 from CDKeys, but I will check if he can get a cheap month first.

Whilst on the topic of xbox gold - I saw a post referring to 2 free games per month. Do you know how I can get these with the existing gold account I have??
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    When they change (on or around the 2nd & 16th of every month) there will most likely be a splash tile on your main page advertising it with a "Games for Gold" slogan. If it's not on your home screen, try going to the games one and it should be there - at this moment in time it's Saints Row the Third, so look for something similar to that. But right now it's showing on my homescreen so I'd guess it should be the same for you.

(While there are two games a month, they're only up one at a time)
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • jackthenipper
    jackthenipper Posts: 344 Forumite
    Options
    When you have the Xbox Gold membership, one of the benefits is 2games per month free to download, this is called Games with Gold & is available on any Gold Membership.

HTH
    You can't be lost if you don't know where you're going.
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    Options
    DOes it make a difference where I buy xbox live membership from? It's £34.99 on Amazon, will it be the same every where?

Thanks,
    Chell
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • Swerved
    Swerved Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    The price varies depending on where you go, so shop around, I get mine from Cdkeys.com, they have it currently for £24.90.
  • Roryh
    Roryh Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    I never bought Gold before but CDkeys were selling it for less than £25 so I decided to give it a chance. If I could find the same price for PS Plus, that would be great.
  • StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Options
    don't forget with cdkeys to also 'like' there facebook page for a 5% discount code - you can then unlike & relike whenever need a new code...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure