Is there any real benefit to a !!!!!!?

Options
Currently going through Payplan with current debts, however from time to time I am offered a !!!!!! from a few creditors of around 80-90% off. I am not close to a mortgage at the moment however would like to be closer in the next 5-10 years.

Am I right in thinking that a !!!!!! will look worse to a possible lender than having paid it in full? I totally understand !!!!!! would take the weight of a debt away however if at any stage in the future I aim for a mortgage could I be shooting myself in the foot by doing so.

Comments

• FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm not sure why the presence of F&F settlements would be a black mark, you already have black marks because the debts are outstanding. These debts will drop off the credit file 6 years from last action, so a F&F would simply show that the debt was settled, end of story. I would have thought that was much more valuable than live and outstanding debts for all that you are 'addressing' them via a DMP.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,904 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If there offering you 80-90% off then there is clearly some issue here with regard to either enforceability of they may be statute barred, they never offer such Hugh discounts unless there are some issues with the debt, I would suggest you look further into this, maybe make a CCA request for the accounts that are making you this "incredible offer", i`m guessing these may be quiet old debts ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Stuh
    Stuh Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    I also asked this question on another thread recently as i am looking for a mortgage at the end of this year and one comment back to me was that it would hurt me as i am not repaying the debt's in full, this has concerned me as i was of the opinion that a PS on my file when it was closed was not going to affect a deal...btw i would be looking for 50% maximum if the debts are with a DCA as i am also with payplan which i will be leaving soon to self manage... thanks
  • shayshay
    shayshay Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    @firewyrm, having them cleared is great however looking for confirmation that they dont show as being settled by means of a 80-90% discount as that will still scream out to a lender.

Maybe the difference is when looking for a mortgage. Stuh if yours is the end of the year then maybe it will still be on the file as such where as Firewyrm may be thinking further than six yours down the line...crossed wires perhaps.
  • AngryDog
    AngryDog Posts: 445 Forumite
    Options
    I think alot depends on when the defaults will drop off your record. As far as I have been told, if you do a P/S and then wait for the defaults to drop off your file, then this shouldnt have any real negative affect on you. The defaults are going to hurt you regardless of whether you pay them partially or fully.
    As at End of June 2014
    Credit Cards - HSBC - £9422
    Loans - NRAM £7500 & £12848
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,904 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    AngryDog wrote: »
    I think alot depends on when the defaults will drop off your record. As far as I have been told, if you do a P/S and then wait for the defaults to drop off your file, then this shouldnt have any real negative affect on you. The defaults are going to hurt you regardless of whether you pay them partially or fully.

Whether fully settled or partially settled the original default will still be on your file for 6 years regardless, the only benefit to partially settled is it costs you less money, lenders all have there own methods for credit scoring so doesn't make a whole lot of difference to your file really.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • AngryDog
    AngryDog Posts: 445 Forumite
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Whether fully settled or partially settled the original default will still be on your file for 6 years regardless, the only benefit to partially settled is it costs you less money, lenders all have there own methods for credit scoring so doesn't make a whole lot of difference to your file really.

Which is what I said.
    As at End of June 2014
    Credit Cards - HSBC - £9422
    Loans - NRAM £7500 & £12848
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    If you're on a long term payment plan and someone offers to settle at 10-20% then it's a bit of a no-brainer unless the debt is clearly unenforceable for some reason (if so, why is it in your payment plan in the first place?).

There is a school of thought that says your plan should be at a level that allows some 'saving on the side' for this strategy. If you're on a basic wage with irregular overtime or bonuses then this works quite logically.

I agree with the above posters on the credit file effect.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    If you're on a long term payment plan and someone offers to settle at 10-20% then it's a bit of a no-brainer unless the debt is clearly unenforceable for some reason (if so, why is it in your payment plan in the first place?).

Ermm...if it's a debt owed why shouldn't it be on the payment plan?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure