Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay my friend's speeding fine?

Options

Comments

• bluecanoe
    bluecanoe Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    sorry that was gloriouslyhappy- got the 2 posts mixed up!
  • ditzyangeluk
    ditzyangeluk Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    He was speeding, not your fault.
    Maybe offer some cash though so you can keep in with him in case you need a lift another time ;-)
    Be who you are, say what you feel
    Cos those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind

:dance: :dance: :dance:

You are what you are ~ live with it!

• maiasopohie
    maiasopohie Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Was in a vaguely similar case where a car went into the side of me. I wanted MateyBoys detail but the passenger tried to give me his instead. Turned out MateyBoy had no license hence no insurance & his passenger was trying to take the blame by saying he was driving. Suffice to say, the cops arrested both & each got 3mths inside.

So no, if your foot wasn't on the gas, don't pay. It wasn't your fault, it was his for careless driving. But, as others have said, by all means make an offer out of the kindness of your heart, but Not out of guilt. Your friend will appreciate the gesture but likely turn it down.
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Once again, not enough info to give a proper answer. If you asked them to be quick, pay the fine. Unfortunately you can't legally take the points. You could lie and say you was driving but make sure you was insured to drive otherwise you're both further into the mire....
    Oh the dilemna!
  • maiasopohie
    maiasopohie Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    @ Talent - a certain MP & his wife did that. Not clever as they both ended up in jail!
  • GabbaGabbaHey
    GabbaGabbaHey Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    nhampson wrote: »
    Lucky they didn't kill someone driving dangerously or you would be wondering how long you would serve in prison for them :)
    I don't know whether you read the initial question or not, but there was nothing whatsoever to suggest that the friend was driving "dangerously".

Their offence was to drive in excess of the posted speed limit. Without knowing the full circumstances (including, but not limited to, the reason why that speed limit had been set, whether the limit had been correctly signed, and how far over the limit the driver was) it is impossible to make any other deductions about his driving.
    Philip
  • Rainy_2
    Rainy_2 Posts: 432 Forumite
    Options
    Nope! They shouldn't have been speeding in the first place, whether the journey was to benefit you or them.

In theory.

But I have a huge guilt gene so I'm sure I'd be offering up some contribution towards it :o
    Pround to be dealing with my debts! DFW Nerd # 1201
    Coloured Squares 506/900 :eek:

The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese ;)
  • metropolis
    metropolis Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    He broke the law... he pays
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you often drive each other around and he speeds and you don't, then I wouldn't feel too guilty about it.

If he always drives you around and you avoid the risk of accidentally speeding past a camera and the other associated costs of driving by never driving him, then yes you definitely should contribute something. If only to make up for all the petrol you've been leeching.
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    bluecanoe wrote: »
    Gloriouslyhappy- I was responsible for my son's actions in the same way the driver is responsible for theirs. I was upset because she accepted the offer despite the fact I was saving her £10-15 weekly in fares. Until that point I was quite happy to offer the lifts and then realised it was a one way street and didn't anymore. I was cash strapped and probably sleep deprived with my own children at the time and thought there would be some give and take. I am obviously in a minority on this one, but to me its a not court of law, but how you treat your friends. There is a moral dilemma here, I would be happy to help out without condoning their actions and others feel that it would be wrong to do so.

Thanks for clearing that up - under these circumstances, I'd probably also stop offering the free lifts, and wait to see if she said anything, in which case I'd mention being cash strapped so unable to play the free-taxi game. Real friendship is a two-way street for sure! (illegal activities like speeding excepted, natch!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure