Let's get all this payed off then

Options
Hello I started a thread 18 months ago but i never really got going with it so I thought I would start another one.

We have 25 years left on the mortgage - only had it for a year. And we owe the family some money, overdrafts, car, double glazing, very small credit card ( £183 left). In total we owe £189517.87. We are very fortunate to be coming in to some inheritance in August which will pay the family, double glazing, overdrafts and maybe the car off.

To be honest I have really had my lightbulb moment and I want to be mortgage free in about 18 years :eek: hopefully sooner.

We have recently had an unexpected problem with the house and have used our £1800 emergency fund so this will have to be built up too.

My initial plan is to throw everything at the credit card which I can hopefully get paid off by the end of the month.

My dhs overdraft is £1650 and mine is £200 I don't know wether to pay these off before we start saving again, any advice?

I have gone through all of my bills and have swapped suppliers etc around.

Well done if you got this far :beer: I will be back tomorrow.
£370/£300 April challenge :T:T

Comments

• Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, good luck with the long term plan.

Paying off the credit card sounds good, if it is on a really high interest rate. Otherwise, I would suggest putting your spare money into the one who charges you the most to borrow the money!
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • StrawberryJam132
    StrawberryJam132 Posts: 165 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 5 April 2014 at 8:12PM
    Options
    Hi sillyinthepast!

I agree with Tahlullah. Organise your debts according to interest and pay off the highest first.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm soooo eager to start paying off my mortgage, but sadly it seems more sensible to pay off all of my debts first.... (Maybe save a little emergency fund first? Just for security?)

Good luck! I'll be coming back to read your updates :D
    SJ X:beer:
    97 months until I qualify!:dance:
  • Hurdler
    Hurdler Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    When I got myself out of debt the first thing I did was get shot of cards first and then where I had to take out a loan for a dead boiler, just focused on getting rid of that next. The snowball effect is something I definitely vouch for.
    • Mortgage @ March 2008: £194,965 ; Lightbulb Moment: July 2011: £164,926; End Date: March 2033
    • MORTGAGE FREE: September 2015
    • MSE 1p Savings Challenge 2023 #70: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec = £667.95/£667.95
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Hello sillyinthepast, I like your name... That was me too!

Yes, just chip away at the debts first. Doing one at a time gives you more sense of achievement than if you pay a bit off each, as you can see them disappear. Just psychological, but if it keeps you on track it is a good thing.

Very good luck,

Squirrel x
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport