An £80438 yoke around my neck - it's got to go!

edited 1 January 2014 at 7:05PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
6 replies 587 views
PiggyBankShakerPiggyBankShaker Forumite
1.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 1 January 2014 at 7:05PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Hello fellow-MFWannabes!

DH and I took our current mortgage out in December 2007 with a 25 year term. It capital repayment. We were fixed at 6.5% for the first two years.

Today we owe £80438.38 at 2.5% (linked to the base rate) Our regular payment is £452.21 a month.

I started making small overpayments in 2012, not much really as we were quite skint. We managed to overpay only £219.22.

This year we were still skint, I was out of work for 7 months, but we managed to overpay £1287.67.

2014 is when we really start to kick this mortgage in the butt!

Now I'm back in work and we have learnt how to be 'good with money' after 3 year on the DFW boards, we have spare cash to play with!

For the first seven months of 2014 we plan to overpay a minimum of £248, supplemented by any extra cash we make from mystery shopping, freelance work etc.

Then we will review our finances as a whole and will increase overpayments to somewhere between £500 and £1000 a month.

My plan is to overpay by a minimum of £4000 in total in 2014.

Advice, support, tips, all needed and welcome.

Oh, and Happy New Year!
Mortgage over-payments to date: = £16,498 Original redemption date: August 2043 Current redemption date: July 2041Petra holiday fund: £4,800 / £4,800 = 100%Iceland holiday fund: £3,814 / £4,800 = 79%

Replies

• tjp70tjp70 Forumite
    454 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Happy New Year.

Good luck with your overpayments.
    If Plan A fails, remember there are 25 more letters
  • tootootootoo Forumite
    681 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Forumite
    welcome and good luck
    MFW.....Apr 33 Aim - Dec 26
  • pavlovs_dogpavlovs_dog Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Forumite
    welcome aboard from a felly Welshy :D

I'm jealous of your daily interest, mine is more than double what you pay :eek:
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • PiggyBankShakerPiggyBankShaker Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Forumite
    Hi all! Thanks for dropping by. Oh, and Happy New Year!!!!

The regular mortgage payment went out today and even though the balance hasn't updated yet it means that our mortgage now starts with a 7 instead of an 8! It'll only be for a few days, until the interest pushes it up again, but come the 20th (when I get paid) it'll be in the 7's for good.

A nice little psychological kick-start to the year. In an ideal world I'd like to go into next year with the balance starting with a 6, but I don't think we can manage that.

Checked all the mystery shopping and survey sites I'm registered with and nothing doing. Got a few bits to list on ebay, but I'm waiting until the Christmas lull has passed.
    Mortgage over-payments to date: = £16,498 Original redemption date: August 2043 Current redemption date: July 2041Petra holiday fund: £4,800 / £4,800 = 100%Iceland holiday fund: £3,814 / £4,800 = 79%
  • Hi PiggyBankShaker

I have a similar mortgage size to you (£84k) so will be following your journey :) Good luck, sounds like you've done pretty well on a limited budget so far, hope it continues for you :)
  • yukkibearyukkibear Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Welcome and good luck on your journey.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals