Why Don't Cyclists Use Cycle Lanes....

Options

Comments

• brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    true, but is that the case here?

That scenario could equally be applied to vehicle drivers.

I think the fact that Boris denies it suggests that it is the case here. :)
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • geordie_ben
    geordie_ben Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    saahil2310 wrote: »
    Cyclist enjoy there ride too much to consider about anything else. They forget to follow the cycle lanes. Because if they ride in lane it won't give them pleasure of turning and twisting.

Let me guess, you're a non cycling driver?
  • j0nathon2
    j0nathon2 Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    saahil2310 wrote: »
    Cyclist enjoy there ride too much to consider about anything else. They forget to follow the cycle lanes. Because if they ride in lane it won't give them pleasure of turning and twisting.

What you talking about?

Cyclists choose whether or not to use the cycle lane, which is their right.

And what's to enjoy about constantly looking out for potholes and draincovers and constantly being overtaken with too little a gap?
  • timbo58
    timbo58 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Options
    Roads are by and large poorly maintained.

I ride a small capacity motorcycle (ok a classic scooter) which is happiest doing 55-60mph max really, so riding that and being a (road) cyclist also I am fully aware of how really !!!! the last 2 foot of the carriageway is, as I am continually forced into it by other road users who want to 'progress' faster than I can travel (even if I am already doing the speed limit consistently).

If you think the Uks roads are in terrible condition take a look at the kerbside edge -it will invariably be worse, and dedicated cycle paths are even worse IME.
    Unless specifically stated all posts by me are my own considered opinion.
    If you don't like my opinion feel free to respond with your own.
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A lot of cycle lanes are also impacted by drains, and many are so mean that you will need to pull out into traffic if you come across a bad drain in the cycle lane.

Another aspect is that you can get sideswiped by motorists turning across a cycle lane without indicating. Then claim that they did not see the brightly coloured lycra wearing cyclist. So many, if they are going as fast as the traffic, feel a lot safer in the middle of the lane where the motorist cannot fail to see them unless they are registered blind.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I was researching some road legislation and came across this Transport for London corporate communication from last August. I found it this paragraph quite surprising:
    The Mayor's Cycling Commissioner, Andrew Gilligan, said: 'It may be that some drivers don't realise they aren't allowed over the Advanced Stop Lines, and when the lights are red, those areas quite often have cars and lorries all over them, completely defeating their purpose. Bike boxes are a really important way to keep cyclists and vehicles at a safe distance. They have already saved hundreds of drivers, particularly truck drivers who have blind spots in their cabs, from the anguish of unintentionally harming a cyclist, and of course saved hundreds of cyclists from serious accidents.'

The article does not appear to be targeted at motor users, so surely the most relevant point should be "saving hundreds of cyclists from serious accidents" rather than this being secondary after the key point of saving drivers from anguish if they unintentionally cause injury :eek:

Later in the release there was another interesting statement:
    In addition to stepping up enforcement on motorists, rogue cyclists are also being targeted. While most cyclists ride responsibly - some do not, and this can anger other road users. Cyclists will be targeted for jumping red lights and issued with a £30 fine if caught doing so.

Andrew Gilligan added 'Whilst usually only endangering the rider themselves, bad cycling does annoy and frighten people, and we are going to tackle it. We are increasing the number of officers in our dedicated Met Police Cycle Task Force by more than a quarter. Riding bikes themselves, they will target particular cyclist misbehaviour hotspots.'

There are huge deficiencies in road rule enforcement in London (in general police will do nothing unless there is injury, and ignore lots of careless and even dangerous driving if there is no injury), yet a priority in enforcement is to target irresponsible cyclists as they may "annoy and frighten people" - despite the acknowledgement that it only the cyclist themselves who is usually endangered.

Personally I think that communications like this do little but reinforce a car-centred traffic system :( But I'd be interested in the thoughts of others, given this is a release from the the Mayor's Cycling Commissioner, so presumably that is not at all the intention.
  • pixiehelper
    Options
    Why do cyclist not pay road tax if they use the road, some do not use lights but if a vehicle driver did this they would be pulled over also I find it amazing how many cyclist travel in dark clothes with no lights on surely a law needs to be introduced for cyclists as well as other road users today I was behind a cyclist and my job involves driving and getting to appointments on time they cyclist was holding up the traffic and when I arrived late my client was not impressed surely we need to look at cycling and the bigger picture to what it affects.I also wonder if flashing lights on bikes can have an affect on people who suffer from epilepsy and trigger fits.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why do cyclist not pay road tax if they use the road, some do not use lights but if a vehicle driver did this they would be pulled over also I find it amazing how many cyclist travel in dark clothes with no lights on surely a law needs to be introduced for cyclists as well as other road users today I was behind a cyclist and my job involves driving and getting to appointments on time they cyclist was holding up the traffic and when I arrived late my client was not impressed surely we need to look at cycling and the bigger picture to what it affects.I also wonder if flashing lights on bikes can have an affect on people who suffer from epilepsy and trigger fits.

Lots of vehicle drivers don't pay vehicle excise duty (which doesn't maintain roads), so if someone has purchased a brand new car should they be banned from driving on the roads for 12 months?

If being behind a cyclist for a while makes you late to an appointment you have clearly left too late, that is a bit like getting annoyed that you had to wait at a red light or drive behind a bin lorry. If you need to get somewhere at a certain time, you need to set off in a timely manner, you cannot rely on dodging every red light and being at 30 mph for the duration of your journey.

Bike lights do not impact on those who suffer from epilepsy that is sometimes triggered by flashing lights, if they flashed at that sort of rate it would cause many people problems as the lights would be difficult to look at while driving.
  • pixiehelper
    Options
    I understand what you are saying but my job involves driving to appointments all day and I have 15 mins allocated by my company to get to them on time and often get a lot of flack from customers if I am late so have no control over the time I am allocated. I have passed bikes with flashing lights and do not suffer from epilepsy but have had headaches and suffer from migraine. Also if someone purchases a new car the cost of tax has been incorporated in this so they would have paid road tax I do believe if everyone who used the roads whoever and whatever vehicle they use should pay road tax for the use of this service after all that is only fair surely and by using the road sensibly and ensure they are being seem is paramount for their own safety..
  • geordie_ben
    geordie_ben Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I understand what you are saying but my job involves driving to appointments all day and I have 15 mins allocated by my company to get to them on time and often get a lot of flack from customers if I am late so have no control over the time I am allocated. I have passed bikes with flashing lights and do not suffer from epilepsy but have had headaches and suffer from migraine. Also if someone purchases a new car the cost of tax has been incorporated in this so they would have paid road tax I do believe if everyone who used the roads whoever and whatever vehicle they use should pay road tax for the use of this service after all that is only fair surely and by using the road sensibly and ensure they are being seem is paramount for their own safety..

So, actually your employers fault not the cyclists?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure