Think I've been scammed for 2.4k please help :(

Options
I had a call from claim credit services ltd today about my mortgage, they said I was potentially due back 15k due to misselling of the mortgage. They said they had to take the solicitors fees of 2.4 k but they had an arrangement with credit card companies to do this. I checked out their registration with companies house, I read their t&cs and I questioned them loads to ensure I would get my money back if they were unsuccessful and they said I would. My credit card company Lloyd's said they were a legit company and that I would be covered if t was a scam but I've signed the docs and now I'm really scared. I have no debts and I've just given up work to be at home with my young daughter. I feel like a complete idiot. We don't have that kind of money t lose. What am I going to do, please help me

Comments

• magpiecottage
    Options
    Mel2222 wrote: »
    I had a call from claim credit services ltd today about my mortgage, they said I was potentially due back 15k due to misselling of the mortgage.

They told me that last month. There are only two possible ways they could know. Either they have stolen our personal data from somewhere or they are lying.

I cannot know which applies to you but I paid my mortgage off over 17 years ago - so I would hazard a guess that they are lying.
    I checked out their registration with companies house, I read their t&cs and I questioned them loads to ensure I would get my money ack if they were unsuccessful and they said I would.
    This is an organisation which has definitely lied to me and probably to you. If it did not lie to you it obtained your personal data by unlawful means - presumably involving lying to somebody else.

Why do you think they would suddenly start telling the truth.

I presume, too, that although you say you have "signed", no actual documents were provided to you since it all happened yesterday. That is a breach of the rules of the Claims Regulator.
    My credit card company Lloyd's said they were a legit company and that I would be covered if it was a scam
    Strictly, yes. However, better to stop it at outset.

Actions to take:

First of all, send an e-mail to [EMAIL="contact.us@lloydstsb.co.uk"]contact.us@lloydstsb.co.uk[/EMAIL], explaining what has happened and that although you called and their employee said it was a legitimate company, they claimed to have personal information about you that is not in the public domain and they have also taken your credit card details without first providing you with personal documentation in accordance with the rules of their regulator.

Say that although you realise they would be jointly liable, you think they should know straightaway so they can ensure payment is not made and they do not later end up footing the bill for the scam themselves. [By doing this you are showing you are trying to do them a favour].

Next report the matter to the Claims Regulator at [EMAIL="consumer@claimsregulation.gov.uk"]consumer@claimsregulation.gov.uk[/EMAIL]

Then use the Actionfraud website to report the matter to the Police as an Advance Fee Fraud. The name of the fraudster is Nicholas John Stephen Harle, the director.

This may sound like an overkill but both the Claims Regulator and the Police are far more likely to act on multiple complaints. The reason to cite Harle by name is that he has a habit of setting up new businesses and moving on, a practice known as phoenixing.
  • melanie2a
    Options
    Sorry I haven't been in touch, I've been unable to log in and had to create a new account! Anyhow, I wanted to say thank you for taking the time to reply and for not treating me like I'm a stupid idiot!

I have been in touch with my credit card who have advised that if the refund isn't received they will pursue the company. The company have promised in writing to send me a full refund by recorded delivery on the 14th November so I have a month of now knowing but I guess that's the way it is.

I can't understand how I got suckered in by them, I'm normally hang up the phone on these people and I never give my card details out to strangers. I have a few things going on personally and I think it made me vulnerable so I do really appreciate you not making me feel any worse than I already do!

Lets just hope they send my money back. But if not the Lloyds TSB have been very supporting and have said it happens alot so its not just me. Still, these companies should be shut down! I'm tempted to go to watchdog to see if they would run an article on it to raise awareness!

Ill let you know if I get my money back and if the cheque clears!

Mel :)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck. This company are a disgrace and you are not the only victim. Just remember in future that to not deal with cold calling companies on the phone in future. There are many cold calling scams going on.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    This company are a disgrace and you are not the only victim.

Harle is not a disgrace, he is a criminal.

You should report him to ActionFraud (i.e. the Police) and to the claims regulator.

For good measure, copy your e-mail to the claims regulator to you MP. This will show them how ineffective it is.
  • markr
    Options
    Hi Guess who I have had discussions with? CCS Review otherwise known as Claim Credit Services Ltd, Based in Swansea. Let them talk to me for the last 49 minutes, sounded very convincing.
    Came to the punch line regarding signing up and told them No Thanks quite insistent when I mention advanced fee fraud they said it was not "just a deposit" of several thousand pound, imagine the interest they could get with that sort of money coming in from several hundred punters on the money market.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    Please report your experience to consumer@claimsregulation.gov.uk and to ActionFraud.

Note that it is the INTENT to commit fraud that creates the offence, not whether or not the criminal is successful in the attempt.
  • Lottiemay75
    Options
    Hi it's me again, for some reason I'm having a nightmare with the forum! Anyways, I've decided to put my awful experience to good use and get this company shut down or at the v least on the news through social media... See my post regarding the fb group I've just set up :)

I've reported them to action fraud and to my credit card fraud team and I'm starting to investigate mr harle business history to discover how he is related to other businesses. Hopefully to gather enough evidence to go to the press/police and get him shut down
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure